DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

countertop installation - stove/oven issue

11K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  SULTINI 
#1 ·
Installing my new countertops was going great, until I realized I had a problem. Cutting the hole out for sliding the stove/oven in isn't an issue, but the old countertop was square on front, the standard laminate countertop with a 3/4in x 1 1/2in square board nailed on. The new countertop has the waterfall edge (rounded top edge). It also extends about 3/4 further than the old countertop did because of the waterfall edge. The first issue is that the stove is setup for a square edge and the new one is rounded on top. The second issue is that the whole appliance will he held out 3/4in by the countertop. What do I do? I have not even cut the hole out of the countertop yet, as I don't know what I'm supposed to do to make the oven fit right.

#2 ·
I am going to assume this is either a new granite or laminate countertop and the stove is either a drop-in or slide-in and not a free standing. If you want the stove to sit back another 3/4" you will have to notch out the counter top in 3/4" from the front and the entire width of the stove. Meaning if your slide-in calls for a 29" rough opening and your stove is 30" wide overall, your finished notch will have to be 3/4" deep by 1/2" wide. Plus about 1/16" or so. The reason I'm saying "finished" notch, because if it's granite, you will want polish the side of the notch. If it's laminate you will want to add laminate to the side. Slide in stoves vary in overall width and depth, so take some careful measurements.

#3 ·
It is a new laminate countertop and a slide-in stove. I was afraid that's what I would have to do :( I am appreciative of the advice. I do understand what you mean by finished notch, and overall width. I'm not certain as to why I didn't consider this to begin with, not that it would have changed anything.

#5 ·
Nosir, it's just what they call the rounded front edge. We have no built in backsplash, and it doesn't sit all the way against the wall. The new front edge is all that's causing a problem. The stove trim has a little adjustability to it, and it's 1/2 by 1/2 and I think that I can get away with moving it forward a bit and cutting a small enough relief in the front of the countertop that the trim will still cover the newly exposed edge so I won't have to apply laminate to a newly exposed edge, it should still look REALLY smooth. That's my whole fear and why I came to ask, I want it to look like I paid for installation.

After finally getting it the new tops glued and screwed down last night I took some time to tape the countertop up and lay out the hole I'm cutting (after spending an hour measuring it every way I could to make certain I was getting it right) and it seems that it won't be as bad nor as scary as I thought. Tonight after work I will do the laminate/stainless tile backslpash and tomorrow I should be cutting the holes for the sink and stove and I will know for sure. I will definitely come back and post up how it came out and what I needed to do. I think I was mostly overthinking it and letting my fear run away with me.

#7 ·
You guys are good for tips :D You know, I've been looking for one everywhere before the countertops even came in and I can't find one anywhere, I thought surely Home Depot or Lowes would have them but I have yet to come up with any. If I had thought they were hard to find I would have ordered them online while I had time. I ended up just getting a fine toothed laminate blade but it's still upcutting, I'm still skeptical of it, but I did have to shorten one piece with it that I ordered 1/4in long so I could cut a small angle on it and with masking tape over the cut line it was a clean cut.

Where would you find a downcutting blade, as I haven't been able to so far.

#10 ·
Depot

You guys are good for tips :D You know, I've been looking for one everywhere before the countertops even came in and I can't find one anywhere, I thought surely Home Depot or Lowes would have them but I have yet to come up with any. If I had thought they were hard to find I would have ordered them online while I had time. I ended up just getting a fine toothed laminate blade but it's still upcutting, I'm still skeptical of it, but I did have to shorten one piece with it that I ordered 1/4in long so I could cut a small angle on it and with masking tape over the cut line it was a clean cut.

Where would you find a downcutting blade, as I haven't been able to so far.

DEPOT has them

#9 ·
Homey's carries a 3-pack Sku # 208164 Be safe, G

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.