Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2007, 10:15 PM   #1

Share |
Question

counter remodel

I am remodeling my kitchen on a budget. I want to tile my counter. it is mica, in great shape. I know cement backer is preferred, but can I tile on top of the formica if I sand it well? Is there a thinset that would allow this application? I figure just remove the sink and stove and do it. I layed it out, figured all the cuts. the kid at lowe's said "oh, sure you could do that!". well, I would like some second opinions, I think this kid was trying to get to the break room rather than talk to me. I mean, why rip out the old one if I could get away with tileing on top. the counter is level and solid.
tcseacliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:48 AM   #2

counter remodel

How long is the counter?
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:06 AM   #3
Long-Time DIYer

counter remodel

I'm no expert on tiling, but when we remodeled our kitchen, the pros who tiled it screwed cement board (1/2") on the floor and (1/4") on the Formica countertops before ceramic tiling. They didn't remove anything. We used off-the-shelf wood molding stained to match our cabinets around the countertop edges. Looks great!
Mike

Last edited by Mike Swearingen; 12-12-2007 at 08:08 AM.
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:14 AM   #4

counter remodel

the counter is an u shape ,stove on one wall, the right wall sink, third an island (7 ft). I know i can screw down the backer was just wondering if there is a thinset that would cure properly on top of the formica. screwing 1/2 in. backer would them mean having to try an refit the cooktop. the tile thickness is doable but the backer plus tile would mean having to hope the cooktop hinges could still work,but from what I am seeing there is no thin set for this application.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:46 AM   #5
Mod / ArchiBuilder

counter remodel

I am under the assumption, you are wanting to keep costs down.

You could possibly tile over the mica, but you would need to rough it up a lot.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:49 AM   #6

counter remodel

I know I will have to rough it up ,my question I really need answered,is there a thinset that would cure on top of mica? backer board usually will absorb some moisture from the thinset, the formica won't so is there a thinset that can cure on top of formica without cracking later?
Old 12-12-2007, 05:00 PM   #7

counter remodel

If it's a custom formica top, and not a preformed, rounded edges type counter, then you might be able to get a putty knife under a corner of the laminate, and get that old laminate off the particle board. Then tile on that, or screw on 1/4" CBU.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:02 PM   #8

counter remodel

that was my next option. I just figured the counter was so smooth and level that it would be easy to tile , just need the thinset question answered. I know if it does not cure properly it will crack.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:26 PM   #9

counter remodel

I don't know if I would do it but if you do, you may want to use unmodified thinset. It should cure faster being between two non-porous surfaces such as formica and tile. We tried to keep costs down on our kitchen also, so we went with granite tiles instead of a slab. About a quarter of the cost and it didn't turn out too bad.
Attached Thumbnails
counter remodel-ct-006.jpg  
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:24 AM   #10
Home Renovations GC

counter remodel

If you're remodeling on a budget then why risk this.....you lay thin set on that bad boy then expect problems. Nate is offering a budget concious solution, remove the formica and/or sheath the formica with ply and go over that.....you'll raise your counter level a fraction but.......get it right or double the cost when it breaks down.
kiwi54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:28 AM   #11

counter remodel

If you want to go right over your formica, you are looking for a product called Bond Coat Mix & SBC 14,000 Polymer Concentrate. You will want to use 30 grit sand paper and sand in circular motions systematically over entire counter, wipe clean with denatured alcahol, Use the Bond Coat Mix and full strength Polymer. It's specifically made for going over formica and tiled countertops. You can find it online at www.betterpaths.com
Hope this helps, Bryan
diytipsguy is offline   Reply With Quote