Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-31-2006, 03:40 PM   #1
Just go with it!

Send a message via Yahoo to Leikela
Share |

Could this be a problem? (pic enclosed)

After reading different posts on here, I'm kind of paranoid. The house my husband and I are buying is very solid inside. However, when you look at it from the front, it looks as though the right side of the house (Just the triangle roof part) is crooked.

Is this cause for concern? Thank you for any feedback!

Last edited by Leikela; 12-31-2006 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Changed title.
Leikela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 03:59 PM   #2

The upper right side of the house appears to be fine unless I am looking at the section.

Did you have a home inspector look at the house?
How old is the furnace?
How old is the wiring?
How old is the plumbing?
How old is the sewer drain lines?
Are there any major cracks in the basement?
Does the basement get water after a rain storm?
Is the house properly insulated?
How old are the windows?
Did the seller or real estate agent give you a disclosure sheet?
Do the floors slope or are they level?
Any problems with lead paint?
Any problems with asbestos?
Condition of the chimney?
Have you looked up in the attic for any surprises or roof leaks?

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 04:41 PM   #3

What part looks crooked two you? is there something spefic you are worring about.
trollmastergeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 06:38 PM   #4
Just go with it!

Did you have a home inspector look at the house? We are still in attorney review right now so the home inspector will most likely come this Saturday.
How old is the furnace? 15 years. It's pretty old. See attached pics below.
How old is the wiring? Do not know.
How old is the plumbing? Do not know.
How old is the sewer drain lines? Do not know.
Are there any major cracks in the basement? I only saw one major crack. See attached pics.
Does the basement get water after a rain storm? From what the seller says, no. It rained the day before we went to look at the house and the basement was dry. There is no sump pump and no musty smell or water lines.
Is the house properly insulated? Do not know.
How old are the windows? Not sure. Definitely not the original. Estimate about 20 years old.
Did the seller or real estate agent give you a disclosure sheet? Yes and the disclosure statement did not indicate any known problems at all.
Do the floors slope or are they level? All floors are level.
Any problems with lead paint? From what it appears, no lead paint.
Any problems with asbestos? Most likely the tiles in the half bathroom are abestos and the ceiling tiles in the downstairs family room. They are both in impeccable condition though with no cracks or peeling.
Condition of the chimney? Do not know.
Have you looked up in the attic for any surprises or roof leaks? We looked in the attic and did not see any leaks. It's a huge walk up attic that can be made into another room.

I'm probably overreacting here, but I took a straight edge and put it up to the picture. The right side of the house is uneven if you put a straight edge up to it. Not sure if that really counts though.

As for the layout of the house, the right side is the garage and the upstairs bedrooms. There is no basement on the right side of the house. The basement is only on the left side of the house. I did notice only two cracks in the wall in the basement. (see pics)

I looked around the outside of the house and the attached pics are the only cracks I saw. There were no cracks on the side of the house where the basement is. Please me know what you think. Here are the pics:

Notice the vertical crack down the wall.

Here is the only other crack I saw in the basement walls.

These are the only crack along the outside of the house, where there is no basement:

Old 12-31-2006, 06:39 PM   #5
Just go with it!

It would only let me post 4 photos, so here is the pic of the ancient furnace which the seller's said was 15 years old.

BTW, more photos of the house can be found here:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/russandr...60762381454429

Last edited by Leikela; 12-31-2006 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:47 PM   #6

someone has altimers if they think that boiler is only 15 years old
trollmastergeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 11:27 PM   #7

The good news is, when you replace it, you could probably sell a PINK boiler for high dollar on Ebay.
jproffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 05:43 AM   #8

I just edited my post on another thread you started to ask if you were going to have your home inspected by a professional... Now, I see you have a few concerns and an inspection will be done. It's always a good idea to have a home you are going to purchase to be inspected. A home is one of the most major investments you will make. I think it's pretty natural to worry a bit about details when making any major pruchase. The professional home inspection will help a lot! Before the inspector arrives, make a list of questions for him/her. I see "redline" has a good list of questions started.

I really do think the house you are going to buy looks nice! I love the big backyard!
Not Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 06:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leikela View Post
Did you have a home inspector look at the house? We are still in attorney review right now so the home inspector will most likely come this Saturday.
I hope you still have a contingency in the contract that covers you if the inspection turns up something nasty. We had our inspection done within a week of making the offer, made the offer contingent upon satisfactory results from the inspection, and submitted a fix-it list to the seller which we made a contingency of the sale.

Quote:
How old is the furnace? 15 years. It's pretty old. See attached pics below.
That's a lot older than 15 years.

Quote:
How old is the wiring? Do not know.
How old is the plumbing? Do not know.
How old is the sewer drain lines? Do not know.
The inspector should be able to ballpark these.
Quote:
Does the basement get water after a rain storm? From what the seller says, no. It rained the day before we went to look at the house and the basement was dry. There is no sump pump and no musty smell or water lines.
Ask the inspector to check over this closely anyway. We looked at one house where they said "yes, it's a dry basement" and I saw plenty of standing water in the gap between the floor slab and the foundation wall. We've since found out from the people who bought the house that yes, the basement does get wet.
Quote:
Is the house properly insulated? Do not know.
This will be hard to determine. We didn't discover until we took out some drywall that at least 2 of our walls had no insulation at all.
Quote:
How old are the windows? Not sure. Definitely not the original. Estimate about 20 years old.
Have you considered that you may need to replace them and factored that into the offer price?
Quote:
Did the seller or real estate agent give you a disclosure sheet? Yes and the disclosure statement did not indicate any known problems at all.
Don't assume that this sheet is accurate! Our disclosure sheet said that our roof was 5 & 7 years old (2 sections). The 5 year old section the previous owner had replaced, the 7 year old section she said "I was told it was 2 years old when I bought the house, and I bought it 5 years ago." Our inspector said it was more likely at least 12 years old. A roofing contractor told me 15-17 years old. If you have any doubts about the veracity of anything on the disclosure sheet, question it and get it checked out (give it to the inspector, (s)he should be able to verify whether some of those things are right).
Quote:
Any problems with lead paint? From what it appears, no lead paint.
Based upon what? Most any paint or home improvement store should have a DIY testing kit. Was there anything on the disclosure form about it?
Quote:
Condition of the chimney? Do not know.
Have you looked up in the attic for any surprises or roof leaks? We looked in the attic and did not see any leaks. It's a huge walk up attic that can be made into another room.
Again, make sure the inspector checks these out.

Quote:
I'm probably overreacting here, but I took a straight edge and put it up to the picture. The right side of the house is uneven if you put a straight edge up to it. Not sure if that really counts though.
I wouldn't count it. There could be distortion in the lens, the picture itself was crooked, so many ways that straightedge might not match up even with the house being "straight."

When you have the inspection done, make sure you walk through the house with the inspector. Ask lots of questions. If you see something that the inspector hasn't made mention of, ask him about it. And set aside about an hour to read through his final report when he delivers it, so that you make sure you understand any problems he finds.

Last edited by NothingsLevel; 01-01-2007 at 06:28 AM.
NothingsLevel is offline   Reply With Quote