Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Cost of a small 2 story addition

I am begining to cost estimate what it will come to if I dare make the endevor to remodel my small lakeside home.

I am a landscape architect and work with pool/landscape firm so my cost are hopefully going to be less than what the norm would be.

I have already been quoted a cost of 1500 to pour my concrete pad (with pump rental)

It is a 14x22' space. I will have on the lower level 1 large room, and staircase. The upper space will be one large suite. I am really worried about it being framed out. I can sheetrock and spackle. My father inlaw is an electrician.

So my real costs ar:

concrete pad,
studding and farming,
new roof and siding
6 new windows

If anyone can help me ball park this I'd love some thoughts. I really cannot for with my discounts i can get this done for less than 100 a square foot, well im trying to atleast.

mattmean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:59 AM   #2

Useful estimates will occur when you hand the plans to onsite contractors who can see exactly what the job entails.
Internet supposition is useless.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
AndyGump (08-08-2011), VIPlumber (08-08-2011)
Old 08-08-2011, 12:09 PM   #3

Thanks for not helping at all. I asked for a ball park, telling me the obvious way to exqct quotes doesnt help.

For exmaple if u want a guestimate at what a good per squafe foot cost of doing a paver patio. I would say 8-10 dollars per sf. Thats all im asking. If there are rough guildlines for sf cost on siding/framing, I'd love to know.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 50

Hmmn, a Ballpark figure. Right now, the average U.S. debt per person is around $50,000.00, with spending by our politicians per hour around $38,0000 give or take. If you think that is correct, how do you think anyone is going to be able to give you an idea of the costs to build your addition. In other words, they can't.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmean View Post
Thanks for not helping at all. I asked for a ball park, telling me the obvious way to exqct quotes doesnt help.

For exmaple if u want a guestimate at what a good per squafe foot cost of doing a paver patio. I would say 8-10 dollars per sf. Thats all im asking. If there are rough guildlines for sf cost on siding/framing, I'd love to know.
I told you the obvious because you seemed like you were in need of it. Your response confirms my first impression.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:32 PM   #6
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

If I remember correctly, the price per sq. ft. for the Angel's Stadium in Anaheim (it's a ball park) was around $500.00/sq. ft.
Now, a little league park with volunteer help could be in the range of $50.00 per sq. ft.

I hope this helps.

Andy.

By the way, you "ar" a landscape architect? Why does that mean that you think your costs would be lower than someone else?

Last edited by AndyGump; 08-08-2011 at 12:35 PM.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyGump For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (08-08-2011)
Old 08-08-2011, 12:40 PM   #7

apparently this is not quality place for constructive answers. Ill try other forums that care to help and not troll.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:42 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Quote:
apparently this is not quality place for constructive answers. Ill try other forums that care to help and not troll.
No forum is going to give you answers in the costs, because as previously mentioned, no one is physically there to see the site, nor able to see the site plan, and architects drawings, engineering, etc.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:06 PM   #9
Work Hard, Play Harder

Write down your square footage.
Make a list of materials.
Use square footage to go through each and estimate how much of that material is needed.
Go to HD/Lowes/whatever website and start finding each material.
Multiple estimates by costs.
Add up estimates.
That will give you materials ballpark.
You can go ahead and break construction into categories - roofing, siding, electric, framing, finishing. Estimate hours. Multiply each by average pay of said professional (found online with google).
Add to materials estimate and you have your full ballpark.
coderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:29 PM   #10
Not so new

Quote:

Suppose I want that paver patio cut into a 30* hillside. Still $8 - $10?
Oh...you didnt know there was a hill.

Thats all the previous posters have said...without having drawings, without seeing the site and without knowing what labor rates/ins. rates, etc are in your area no one can tell you what it costs. You have to talk to local people.

But I'll take a stab at it....$50-$150 sf.
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:33 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Our home is marketable at around $63,000.00, but the estimated costs of rebuilding by the insurance company's estimate is around $125,000.00 just for structure (permits, materials, labor, architect).
Old 08-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #12

Ballpark estimate in my area is $50-$100/sq ft finished.
So you would x2 for 2 stories = $30,800 - $61,600.

This includes labor. I'd say if you do most of the basic labor yourself with moderate materials, probably towards the lower side. But then again, this could be completely off depending on your location.
GottaFixIt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GottaFixIt For This Useful Post:
AGWhitehouse (08-08-2011)
Old 08-08-2011, 03:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaFixIt View Post

This includes labor. I'd say if you do most of the basic labor yourself with moderate materials, probably towards the lower side. But then again, this could be completely off depending on your location.
Now that wasn't so hard was it? Thank you GottaFixIt for being useful to the OP!

Every competent builder I've met can give the median $ for a given task for a Ballpark estimate (Schematic Design Estimate). Always factor in a 20% contingency on SD estimates to account for all the little worries noted. That said, a standard house on a standard lot is running between $100-$200/sq. ft. in New England. $200 being the nicer finishes, trims, and fixtures.

Last edited by AGWhitehouse; 08-08-2011 at 03:04 PM.
AGWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #14
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaFixIt View Post

This is the exact reason why coming on the internet and asking for a ball park figure means nothing and will get you nowhere. People have to do their own homework and get estimates from contractors in their area ...your area and ball park estimate does nothing for anyone unless they are from your area.
ccarlisle (08-08-2011), gregzoll (08-09-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 08:16 AM   #15

Quote:
I am begining to cost estimate what it will come to if I dare make the endevor to remodel my small lakeside home.

I am a landscape architect and work with pool/landscape firm so my cost are hopefully going to be less than what the norm would be.

I have already been quoted a cost of 1500 to pour my concrete pad (with pump rental)

It is a 14x22' space. I will have on the lower level 1 large room, and staircase. The upper space will be one large suite. I am really worried about it being framed out. I can sheetrock and spackle. My father inlaw is an electrician.

So my real costs ar:

concrete pad,
studding and farming,
new roof and siding
6 new windows

If anyone can help me ball park this I'd love some thoughts. I really cannot for with my discounts i can get this done for less than 100 a square foot, well im trying to atleast.
14' x 22', two stories, staircase. ok

$5,500 for the lumber for framing. Labor will vary. I know guys that frame for $15 / hour, and guys that frame for $38 / hour. I'm going to through a wild arse guess and say maybe $10,000 to have someone spec it, order the lumber, and frame it. Just framing and sheathing.

I'm not sure if you can put a two story building on a monolythic slab in your area or not, I know you cannot HERE. Here, the min would be a frost wall to support the structure and that would be about $3400 for the concrete work, and excavation would be around $1100 including backfill and rough grade.

Shingles, caps, drip edge, around $425 for the materials. About $500 labor for a guy to do it. They will charge you for a day.

Siding varies. Maybe $2000, maybe $2500 for materials.

You could probably buy all the materials you need, insulation, drywall, etc for around $20k plus foundation. If you just signed and had a GC do the job, I'm thinking maybe 40-50k depending on finish work. Different parts of the country get different labor rates.

-- Joe

anesthes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to anesthes For This Useful Post:
GottaFixIt (08-09-2011)