Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2008, 11:59 AM   #1

Share |

Cost to replace window with french doors

First off, I apologize if this is posted in the wrong place.

I am wanting to replace a 72(w) x 62(H) window with double french doors. The house is a 1958 CBS construction. No electrical in the wall where the window is. Well more corrrectly I am looking to hire some one to do this. I want to use impact doors as I am in south Florida. I have a couple of people coming to look at the job and price it out, but was hoping to get some idea of what a fair price would be for this job. I am afraid that as a woman living alone, they will try to charge me too much, because I don't know any better. If I have left out any details needed to give an estimate of the job price let me know and I will try to provide such information.
Thank you
Kim
kimbur96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:17 PM   #2

Is the door going to be the same width as the current window? That would be a easy job compared to making the opening wider.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Is the door going to be the same width as the current window? That would be a easy job compared to making the opening wider.
same width, but the opening may need to be made taller.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:26 PM   #4

DIY Chatroom is geared towards DIYers, and therefore requests for prices or estimates for contractors to to jobs for people are discouraged.

If you'd like help doing the replacement yourself, you've certainly come to the right place to get the advice and help you'd need.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:06 PM   #5
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

I agree with Thekctermit. how did you find the door, A store, lumber yard or a company that installs there own project?
Did you get three estimates, this way you could have a better Idea of what price range you will be in,and how the company presented themselves to you. Good luck BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:27 AM   #6

Its not that hard of a job so save some money and do it yourself you will get all the help you need to do it right here if you want
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
DIY Chatroom is geared towards DIYers, and therefore requests for prices or estimates for contractors to to jobs for people are discouraged.

If you'd like help doing the replacement yourself, you've certainly come to the right place to get the advice and help you'd need.
I understand the webiste is for DIYers, however when I went to a contracting site the rules say you cant post there if you aren't a contractor, so I thought I might get some friendly advice, or estimate of what it should cost here. I did go look at doors at Lowes and they run about $500-700 then another $500 to installl but that is if you are putting a door where a door is. Not to tear out a window make the opening bigger and install a door. I have no idea if someone quoted me $3000 if that would be off base or not. I do some little jobs around the house, paint, sod, install sprinklers, but as an RN tearing out part of a wall to install a door seems a little bigger than I can tackle by myself. Especially since the house is concrete block construction.

Again I apologize for apparently posting this in the wrong place.

Last edited by kimbur96; 10-18-2008 at 08:53 AM.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:40 PM   #8

Codts vary greatly across the country. That job will problably cost you double in California it would in Buffalo NY. Post your location.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Codts vary greatly across the country. That job will problably cost you double in California it would in Buffalo NY. Post your location.
South Florida.
I had someone come out yesterday to give me a quote and they told me the doors cost double what I saw at Lowes. Exactly what I am afraid of...unless they are different/better doors than I looked at.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:31 AM   #10

I would go buy the doors you want and then hire someone to install them.I dont know what the cost of haveing someone do it for you would be but I did mine myself and in pretty much the same situation as yours.I took out a old set of windows ,cut out the block ,installed a new lental ,framed it and installed the door.With all that I would guess it would have cost me around 1000-1500 but that is just a guess and I am in Amish country so their rates are kind of low
If your looking a doors at Lowes ask them what they would charge for intallation that will give you a better ideal I wouldnt use them but it will give you a ballpark

Last edited by clasact; 10-19-2008 at 07:33 AM. Reason: added more
Old 10-19-2008, 08:03 AM   #11

This is probably not a good DIY project in S.FL.
If you want to do this per code...by the way, this project would require a permit in FL.

The variables on the project you propose are numerous ( I can think of 50 that will have an effect costs). You will be required to add a light by your new door. So electrical will be involved.

Have a good idea of what you want, but be open to cost saving alternatives... Interview contractors until you find one in your comfort zone.. a good contractor will explain the process and what your project will require in effort and capital.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:10 AM   #12

[quote=Big Bob;173877]
You will be required to add a light by your new door. So electrical will be involved.
quote]
Wow, of the two who came to look at the job so far, neither one mentioned a light. In fact, they both said since there was no outlet under the window that I wouldn't need an electrician.
Thank you for your input.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:14 AM   #13

OMG!!! I just got the first quote $4775 That is much higher than I thought it would be. I really want a back door but not at that cost.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:08 PM   #14

wow that is unreal
Old 10-21-2008, 03:20 PM   #15

Hence the reason this is a DIY site. Some people don't want to pay what construction-related work costs these days.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote