Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2009, 11:54 AM   #1

Share |

Cost of PUMPER TRUCK RENTAL for pouring a slab.

Im planning an addition on my house which will be approx 360 sq.ft. Just going thru the costs for each phase but having trouble getting info for getting a pumper truck to come out during the pouring and finishing. Has anyone had the experience ?

offroader6387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroader6387 View Post
Im planning an addition on my house which will be approx 360 sq.ft. Just going thru the costs for each phase but having trouble getting info for getting a pumper truck to come out during the pouring and finishing. Has anyone had the experience ?
You're talking about 4.5 yards? May not be worth the cost.

My wheelbarrows carry about 3 cubic feet each. That's only about 120 wheelbarrows. No sweat.

Sorry, just kidding. ....... It's really only 40. (I'm not all that good at math)

I imagine the cost varies greatly, but we get them for about $400 a pour, on the average. Some companies can run much higher, so shop around. He's only going to be there for probably a total of two hours, cleanup and all. But they do have their minimums. Still, I would do very few jobs without one.

If you paid a man $10.00 each time he ran a wheelbarrow back to your slab, you'd be ahead of the game with a pumper. But that's a high rate to pay for a wheelbarrow load. And don't forget that you need you get that truck unloaded fast. Many companies start adding a "per minute" charge after a certain amount of time. That can get expensive if your wheelbarrow humpers get tired and slow down... Even if they DON'T!

EDIT: Thanks to JOGR for helping me with the math. Gettin' old, I guess. That's the second mistake this year.

Last edited by Willie T; 05-21-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:50 PM   #3

I have used a pumper a few times. Most recently was a patio of a few hunded square feet and a monolithic slab for a 24x30 workshop. MUCH preferred over hand-trucking...

As I understand, there are two catagories of concrete for pumping - call them big rock and little rock. Little rock can be pumped by a tow behind pumper, whereas big rock requires a larger and usually truck mounted pumper. The tow behinds have a more limited reach as they run a hose from the jobsite to the concrete truck, whereas the truck mounted can even sling it up and over the house to the back yard.

If I recall the smaller pumper was around $400, and the larger about double that amount. The concrete company has been able to supply me with recommendations as to a pumper.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:54 PM   #4

Another option I see now available, is where you get the concrete in a trailer you tow yourself to the jobsite. Dump your concrete, clean and return the trailer. I have not used this, but for smaller jobs should be more economical. The trailer may be able to get into places where a concrete truck cannot and avoid the need for a pumper.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Few people seem to have good results with those trailers. I would investigate this locally, very thoroughly. I have seen neighbors of mine trying this method, and it seemed all but impossible to back that trailer across some terrain pushing with only a pickup truck. And they only had to go across a grass yard with a slight hump at the curb. Felt awfull sorry for them.

Last edited by Willie T; 05-21-2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #6

For that small of an area rent a power buggy. Holds a lot more than a wheel barrow. Your wife or teenager could run it and have fun. No wheelbarrows tipping over sideways, no $400 pumper. And you should be able to unload the truck before they charge extra unless you've got a long way to go - and then a pumper wouldn't work either.

If your having trouble getting info out of your local pumper outfits just imagine trying to coordinate the timing between the truck and pumper arrival. When I did my foundation walls the pumper guy was suppose to arrive 15 minutes before the first truck but instead arrived 45 minutes late. Luckily the first truck was 15 minutes late and I had good access to the garage stem walls so I could pour the first truck without the pumper. The pump guy hustled getting set-up when he arrived and it all came together. Seems like the pumper charge was around $100 per hour from the time he left his location till he was back to his location plus a small per yard rate. Ended up around $450 to pump 3 truckloads but I don't think the first truck used the pumper at all.

Willie, 120 x 3 cubic ft is 360 cubic ft= 13.3 yards. 4.5 yards would be 41 wheelbarrow trips unless you count the one I usually spill over sideways.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:24 PM   #7
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
For that small of an area rent a power buggy. Holds a lot more than a wheel barrow. Your wife or teenager could run it and have fun. No wheelbarrows tipping over sideways, no $400 pumper. And you should be able to unload the truck before they charge extra unless you've got a long way to go - and then a pumper wouldn't work either.

If your having trouble getting info out of your local pumper outfits just imagine trying to coordinate the timing between the truck and pumper arrival. When I did my foundation walls the pumper guy was suppose to arrive 15 minutes before the first truck but instead arrived 45 minutes late. Luckily the first truck was 15 minutes late and I had good access to the garage stem walls so I could pour the first truck without the pumper. The pump guy hustled getting set-up when he arrived and it all came together. Seems like the pumper charge was around $100 per hour from the time he left his location till he was back to his location plus a small per yard rate. Ended up around $450 to pump 3 truckloads but I don't think the first truck used the pumper at all.

Willie, 120 x 3 cubic ft is 360 cubic ft= 13.3 yards. 4.5 yards would be 41 wheelbarrow trips unless you count the one I usually spill over sideways.
Yep, ya got me there. I got in a hurry with the calculator, and forgot to again divide by 3. My bad. ....... or else my guys get awfully sloppy and slosh out a couple of feet on every trip.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:10 PM   #8

Pumper truck for my garage foundation was $800
2 loads of concrete, not sure of the exact time - but it wasn't very long
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:52 PM   #9
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Pumper truck for my garage foundation was $800
2 loads of concrete, not sure of the exact time - but it wasn't very long
Boom truck? Not too bad.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:36 PM   #10

Well if its approx $400 I would be pretty happy. I'm guessing I would have to pay the forming and finishing crew more anyway if they had to use wheelbarrows. But then again it sounds like some people may like that

Thank you all for your input
offroader6387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
Boom truck? Not too bad.
Yup, boom truck
The overhead wires were buried shortly after this

I sort of had the option..."try" having 2 cement trucks back down the area where the 1st truck backed down to pour the footing. That truck left 12" or more deep ruts
If they get stuck (full loads) it was on me for the amount of time & $$ to tow them out

I opted for the boom, not that I really think they wanted to try backing down. After the footing pour they more or less decided on the pumper

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:30 PM   #12
DIY

I paid $425 today for a 6.5 yard pour.

gp_wa is offline   Reply With Quote