Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2009, 05:03 PM   #1

Share |

cost per square foot sunroom addition

Newbie, so please excuse me if this has been covered.

I live in Northern VA -- Reston to be exact.

I just got a quote from Owens Corning for a sunroom, thought it is really an addition. This would be build on top of an existing 20x14 deck and be a finished room that would be 14 x 14. Walls would be mainly glass, two skylights. Underside of deck insulated and sealed up, and the walls have electrical outlets, are prefabed and test-assembled in the factory. they say it will take 3 days to put up on site.

so the issue is that the estimate is ~$55K. that's everything, but its also $280/sq.ft. That seems quite high, although this will be a very nice room. (we can heat and cool by slicing into a wall to get to a duct that feeds way too much H/AC to a small bedroom; walls are not finished in the package).

questions:
1. what is a reasonable price for this sort of addition (its actually '4 season' once we cut into the vent)?

2. for my wife: is an addition considered "finished" if it does not have independent HVAC? (my guess is yes)

TIA
chris_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:08 PM   #2

Really can't price out additons like this over the Internet
I built my own 16x17 sunroom using windows, door, slider & 6 skylights for under $15k

AC is not required for an addition
Heat usually is - but by the Insurance company

You are paying for their package
I'm sure some sunrooms will cost more, others less
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:13 PM   #3

Heat is required by code in habitable spaces of the home.

Althoughthis isn't the website for validating the estimates you receive from contractors or seeking price comparisons (this is a DIY site), rest assured that a sunroom like that won't add anywhere near $55k in value to your home like conventional construction might.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:31 PM   #4

Hey neighbor! I too live in Northern, VA...Manassas. I solicited bids for a 19 X 16 (304 sqft) Screened Porch at the rear of house off family room. House has inground basement. Scope of work...pour concrete foundation, flagstone on top of concrete, two screened walls (third wall is exterior wall of morning room), shed roof w/membrane, ceiling fan, two skylights, electrical outlets and lighting. Bids ranged from $52K to $60K. About $171/sqft on the low end. I haven't yet pulled the trigger to award the work. Still kinda mulling it around.
_______

My apologies to the website...overlooked "thekctermite" above comment for price comparisons.

Last edited by GymGuy; 07-23-2009 at 06:39 PM.
GymGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:36 PM   #5

Wow, I've got the sunroom & a 3 story addition at those prices
I guess I should have my wife pay me

Is a specific heat source required in a room?
My 1st bathroom doesn't have heat - rooms on either side - but it does have an outside wall
2nd floor only the small bedroom has a radiator
The rest of the 2nd floor did not - including another bathroom

My sunroom is open just over 12' to the heated kitchen
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:11 PM   #6

RS Means publishes costs like these corrected for ZIP codes. Peek in one at your local Border's or Barnes & Noble.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:14 PM   #7
Millennium construction

My advice would be to get more estimates and compare them. Also get a independent heat source for a sunroom after the final inspection, because rooms without heat is considered an unhabitable room and the city may not raise taxes on your room addition.
deivismur is offline   Reply With Quote