Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2009, 09:13 PM   #1

Share |

Cost to mud and tape.

Does anyone know the going rate to mud and tape? I am wagering on hiring it done. And, will I save by hanging it myself (my brother inlaw hangs it for a living).

Last edited by luweee; 02-16-2009 at 11:07 PM.
luweee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:42 AM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Cost to mud and tape.

A little help here...............? Is it a warehouse? A 17' cathedral ceiling lodge? A small garage? A linen closet? Is the framing job a good one, or will you have to add all sorts of extra wood? What kind of final D/W finish are you looking for... what's the wall going to be finished with? Are your walls all of normal 8' or 9' height? Do you have a lot of short length, "cut-up" rooms? Any sky lights? Any alcoves? How about arches?

There are a number of factors that both you and a bidding contractor have to take into consideration. Unless the contractor is terribly hungry or just inexperienced, he will give you no "going rate". He should give you NO price before he sees the job. And you should accept none.

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:21 AM   #3
Tool Geek

Cost to mud and tape.

Luwee,
First of all this is a DIY forum.

Second, asking for a price has so many variables that you are not going to get an accurate answer.

Third, Asking for a a price on a forum is a NO WIN
because even if you get a quality job at a very fair price, you will always think you got cheated because you will compare the price you paid to a lower price that might have turned out to been done by a total incompetent.

Last edited by PaliBob; 02-17-2009 at 11:25 AM.
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:43 AM   #4

Cost to mud and tape.

me and my wife are going to take down the wooden panels and install drywall in the basement. we have never mud or taped or done anything like this but think it will be a fun project and ofcourse a great way to do something new .if not i will pay someone to do it but if we can do it i think it will be better in a purely self satifing way.if not i did do some research.

i read someting called a 15$ rule in aa forum . 15$ to buy and install a sheet ,15$ to mud/tape it .again my house the framing is good and have insulation and wood panels screwed and all it will require is to unscrew and install drywall.
satz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:46 PM   #5
They're all fixer-uppers

Cost to mud and tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satz View Post
me and my wife are going to take down the wooden panels and install drywall in the basement. we have never mud or taped or done anything like this but think it will be a fun project and ofcourse a great way to do something new .if not i will pay someone to do it but if we can do it i think it will be better in a purely self satifing way.if not i did do some research.

i read someting called a 15$ rule in aa forum . 15$ to buy and install a sheet ,15$ to mud/tape it .again my house the framing is good and have insulation and wood panels screwed and all it will require is to unscrew and install drywall.
I encourage you to take on projects on your own if you think it will give that kind of gratification. I do, however, caution you to experiement a bit on a non crucial piece of drywall first, taping and sanding and getting the hang of it before attempting it for realy. I'm not sure if anyone has ever produced excellent results the first time they mudded.. its an aqcuired skill.
J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:12 PM   #6

Cost to mud and tape.

Make sure you have the Taper guy lined up before. Some (most ?) guys refuse to tape/mud another persons hang - the reason being that they will be blamed for defects caused by a poor hanging job, and it's not worth the aggravation. Can't say that I blame them.
tribe_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:34 PM   #7

Cost to mud and tape.

Drywall finishing is an art. I wouldn't consider it a DIY project by any means, especially if you have never done it before. For as little as it would cost you, it will be money well spent to hire a professional to do it for you.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:50 PM   #8

Cost to mud and tape.

We have a 4 yr old house. We are now finishing the basement. We have done everything to this point ourselves. Just wanted to hire this out because my wife has such bad allergies....want to get it done with as fast as possible so I can change air filters and dust the house.

Thanks for all the replies.

luweee is offline   Reply With Quote