Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Cost to lift house and put in new foundation

I had an engineer out to look at our sloping house. He said it's likely we'd need a new foundation, and the cost would be around 100K.

I was thinking maybe 50K. I'm thinking house lifting and excavation would be 15K and basement footings and walls, with no floor, would be 25K-30K. Misc. permits and stuff would be another 5K-10K.

This is in Minneapolis, and the house is a 4700 sq. ft., 2.5 story, 1886 house. The basement is about 30 ft x 48 ft
Attached Thumbnails
Cost to lift house and put in new foundation-4011854_1.jpg  

ivanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #2

$100k doesn't sounds ridiculous in my mind...That house is huge, heavy, old, and quite a liability...get at least 3 real quotes from certified contractors if you want to know who's right/wrong. You won't find answers any better than this here...

Old 01-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #3

Don't forget to factor in the inevitable damages to plaster, etc...

Beautiful house, BTW.
GottaFixIt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GottaFixIt For This Useful Post:
AGWhitehouse (01-11-2012), Dave Sal (04-04-2013)
Old 01-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaFixIt View Post
Don't forget to factor in the inevitable damages to plaster, etc...

Beautiful house, BTW.
There are a ton of "hidden costs" associate with this kind of job. Just to list a few:
1) You have to disconnect and safe off all power, plumbing, and phone, data, etc.
2) You have to reconnect all items in #1 after reset
3) Essentially you be building 2 new foundations as the first will be a temporary foundation to support the house while you excavate, form, pour, etc.
4) Excavation has a premium attached as machine clearances are negligable and some will have to be done by hand
5) You will likely need hired engineering drawing and/or oversight to obtain permits.
6) Repairing those inevitable interior cracks as GottaFixIt noted
7) Repairing exterior as required if siding has to be removed to install code required hurrican strapping.

Hence why you need a real quote...
Old 01-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
Disabled wood vet

I'm curious where you got those numbers.
My Grandmother had a new foundation put under her house-they raised it 6 feet- and by the time they did all repairs to the sheetrock and basically re-hanging all the doors and what have you it was over $125k.
About the same size as your house it sounds like.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #6

Wow, sounds like a lot to me. See if you can have it contracted out separated. What I mean is, find a company that will lift and move the house, and another for the concrete work. Might save you some money.
metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 8

2004 I did one 24x46. It was 7,000 to lift and drop. The new footings and basement walls and tiling and waterproofing was maybe 12,000. I had three window wells built in for 5x5 windows, plus an exterior access with sloping walls coming out. I think the excavation was probably $3,000. I poured the floor and finished the whole basement later. I figure I had $25,000 in the project after paying for the lift/drop, basement footings and walls, excavation, and cost of concrete only for the floor.

Then I started finishing.

This is an excellent time to get yourself into a nice, modern basement. Don't be afraid to raise the grade of the house, give yourself plenty of windows and exterior access doorway. Put a basement area under your porches while you are at it. Give yourself a 9' ceiling if you like. Another thing to think of is to leave a brick ledge below grade.

Get it insulated nicely and you will thank yourself every day for doing this project.

If the grade allows it, I would recommend to people to put a garage in their basement as well, or a big walk-out.

The sky is the limit. If you want to spend $100,000, you're going to have to use your imagination.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #8

I've done another rehab (gutting, wiring, plumbing, framing, finish carpentry. This is obviously on a much larger scale. I would only hire for the engineering specs, the lift and excavation, the new footings and foundation, the disconnect and reconnect. I would not hire anyone to do any repairs such as plaster. In other words, I'm not a homeowner who is looking for a turnkey solution, where the wifey, kids and me get take out and wimper about the mess and noise. Currently we only live in part of the house, as I'm cleaning up from a previous owners partial gutting.

I'd gotten quotes from house movers in the area (not a written bid) for house lifting and excavation of a different house we looked at two years ago, and they were around $13,000 to $15,000 to lift, excavate, hold while foundation poured, and put house back down.

I was shocked at the 100K figure, and I've been doing web searches for several hours trying to get an idea.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #9
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 16

This is a typical "how much will it cost" question. But this one has a twist. You hired (I assume you paid the engineer) to develop a report and estimate the cost to rebuild the foundation. So you get an estimate of $100K. Then you state

I was thinking maybe 50K. I'm thinking house lifting and excavation would be 15K and basement footings and walls, with no floor, would be 25K-30K. Misc. permits and stuff would be another 5K-10K.

So where did you get these numbers? Are you a cost estimator by trade? A contractor? Or are these revealed truth from God? You do not believe your engineer? But you will believe figures thrown out by an internet chat group?
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
abracaboom (01-11-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 04:39 PM   #10

Hi Dan,

I didn't hire the engineer. They came out to look at the house, then they would draw up a proposal for what they would like to do: soil borings, document this or that, etc. ( I haven't gotten that proposal yet). I was hoping I would hire them to draw up specs for shoring up the house. They said it likely needed a new foundation.

We were looking at buying a different old house two years ago, and I spoke with some house movers who quoted me their prices for lift and excavate, which was around $13K to $15K.

I'm hoping to hear from people who did it or from people who know of it from working on it.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #11
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanator View Post
I had an engineer out to look at our sloping house. He said it's likely we'd need a new foundation, and the cost would be around 100K.

This is in Minneapolis, and the house is a 4700 sq. ft., 2.5 story, 1886 house. The basement is about 30 ft x 48 ft

Holy cow, that's a BEAUTIFUL house!

My sons & their families live in NE Minneapolis. Is that anywhere near you?
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #12
Hardcore DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
This is a typical "how much will it cost" question. But this one has a twist. You hired (I assume you paid the engineer) to develop a report and estimate the cost to rebuild the foundation. So you get an estimate of $100K. Then you state

So where did you get these numbers? Are you a cost estimator by trade? A contractor? Or are these revealed truth from God? You do not believe your engineer? But you will believe figures thrown out by an internet chat group?
Maybe he was hoping someone on the internet chat group would have been down this road and be able to give some costs that they incurred, some advice from their experience and then he could relate that data to his. Take the sqft, labor costs per region variation, issues incurred, variations in practice, years since and inflation, cost of materials and tools. Its easy enough to approximate the cost, already in this thread he has had data showing if he lets all the work be done by contractors it could easily cost this much, at the same time he has data saying if he does some work, plays foreman, hires and manages the companies on his own he could save some money. God forbid he not take 1 persons word as the end all be all for pricing and ask for some guidance from other like minded individuals to see if he should lean more towards the conclusion that the inspector is just looking at making a big buck on a job that should cost half.

Beautiful place by the way, at least from our view.
EvilNCarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EvilNCarnate For This Useful Post:
Dave Sal (04-04-2013)
Old 01-11-2012, 04:48 PM   #13
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post

Wow. Classy.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #14
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanator View Post
I'd gotten quotes from house movers in the area (not a written bid) for house lifting and excavation of a different house we looked at two years ago, and they were around $13,000 to $15,000 to lift, excavate, hold while foundation poured, and put house back down.

I was shocked at the 100K figure, and I've been doing web searches for several hours trying to get an idea.
I'm guessing here, because I'm not a licensed professional. But...

$13-$15, two years ago, for a smaller house would probably mean at least $25,000 for this one.

About 12 years ago, a good buddy of mine had a basement dug & poured for his house. It was over $30,000 for a MUCH smaller house, and it was new construction, so they were able to bring in the big equipment rather than work under a house. I could easily foresee the footings, basement floor & walls being $50,000 - $75,000 for this house.

$100,000 doesn't seem out of the question to me. It sucks to be looking at that much, but I hope you (or somebody) does the work. That's a gorgeous house, and it'd be a shame to let it deteriorate!
Old 01-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #15
Coconut Pete's paella!

First of all: That's a beautiful house!

I'm a little confused. I don't know anything about moving/lifting houses etc, so maybe that's it - but where exactly did you get $50K from? I mean this is a HARD thing to compare to what your neighbor paid?

Where are you located? There is a house for sale right down the street from me here in CT, it's a 1900 Victorian. They picked it up and moved it back maybe 250 feet to make room for condos since it was a GIANT lot, but it was such a unique experience to walk around in a perfectly square/level/plumb/dry basement with brand new electrical/plumbing/heating etc. of a house that's over 100 years old. It completely changed the house given the massive amount of storage and expansion capabilities down there.

CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote