Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2011, 09:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Cost estimate on window/sheet rock repair

Recently we had some issues with a window in our master bedroom. After talking to several contractors, it has left us confused and frustrated.

Some have stated the job will cost about $600, others $900.

Today we get another company who gave a figure of $6400.

Here is the job details for the $6400. Can someone verify or give a rough truthful estimate on it? **See pictures for details.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/1414/dsc00754d.jpg
http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/7523/dsc00753x.jpg
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/6919/dsc00752ok.jpg

Site prep
setup floor protection and dust protection as necessary.

Demo
Remove wall paneling, sheetrock and chair rail as needed to remove rotten wood under window. Approx 5 LF.
Remove window and window trim complete and dispose.
Remove vinyl siding and fanfold on exterior as needed to remove rotten wood wall sheathing.
re-frame window opening to accept new construction window.
replace rotten wood stud approx. 3 LF.
replace wall sheathing under window 32 SQFT.
re-install fanfold complete using fanfold house wrap.
re-install vinyl siding using saved siding.

New window will be Soft-lite Barrington Series. Low E & Argon gas filled panels. Grids 6x6.
Window will be flashed after installation.
Furnish and install new PVC brickmold.

Install 32 SQFT of R19 wall insulation.
Patch sheetrock where it was removed to inspect wall framing.
Reinstall chair rail.
Furnish and install wood paneling to match existing.

clean up
furnish dumpster for demo
port-o-let for employees

marchvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:49 AM   #2

If that is all of the damage, it sounds like...

Two companies are POSSIBLY going to cover up the rotted area. I can not tell if that is truly rotted or just wet??? If you replace the studs and sheathing and everything.... with labor I think $1,500 max. I think it is probably best to have it inspected in other areas too, so I don't disagree with taking a harder look at it. Mold and rot can be brutal left unfixed.

One company is going to do a great job, but their cost estimator has no idea of the phrase "what the market will bare." I basically mean they might actually feel it will cost $6,400 but no homeowner in their right mind will spend that to fix that. If you had a car with $2,500 damage, and it's worth $1,000, you wouldn't fix it.

Portable toilets for employees????

How long do they feel they will be there? A few weeks?

IF that is all the damage, this is a two day job for 2 guys, maybe another few visits to mud the drywall.

I am unsure of your labor rates there, but I would never pay $6,400 unless they were installing a hot tub and building a deck for me also. A lot of their cost seems to be in the new window, which the other companies did not quote.

Last edited by oldhouseguy; 09-30-2011 at 09:54 AM.
oldhouseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:57 AM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhouseguy View Post
If that is all of the damage, it sounds like...

Two companies are POSSIBLY going to cover up the rotted area. I can not tell if that is truly rotted or just wet??? If you replace the studs and sheathing and everything.... with labor I think $1,500 max.

One company is going to do a great job, but their cost estimator has no idea of the phrase "what the market will bear"

Portable toilets for employees????

How long do they feel they will be there? A few weeks?

IF that is all the damage, this is a short day job for 2 guys, maybe another few visits to mud the drywall.

I am unsure of your labor rates there, but I would never pay $6,400 unless they were installing a hot tub and building a deck for me also.
Price includes the window----However I agree---Mighty high--

Go to a local lumberyard or millwork supplier or siding supplier and ask for a couple of contractors names---they will know the good from the bad.

A good siding and window crew is the best choice--
Old 09-30-2011, 10:40 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

It looks like you have two bids that are extremely low and one that is extremely high. You probably have a more accurate price for the window but I'm guessing around $750. Other materials should run less than $100 so you're looking at about $850 for materials alone. Including return trips for sheetrock and painting I'd estimate about 40mh. Thus a reasonable price for the entire project should be $2000-$2500+/-.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:53 PM   #5

What year was the house built?
Dustincoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:08 PM   #6

How about you go and buy the materials, order the window, and we can walk you through step by step on how to do it yourself. Take lots of pictures and everyone here will offer good advice. This way you are only out the material costs and a little blood. Also the experience will teach you the value of a days hard labor....
OhioHomeDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell
It looks like you have two bids that are extremely low and one that is extremely high. You probably have a more accurate price for the window but I'm guessing around $750. Other materials should run less than $100 so you're looking at about $850 for materials alone. Including return trips for sheetrock and painting I'd estimate about 40mh. Thus a reasonable price for the entire project should be $2000-$2500+/-.
Plus insurance, gas, tool wear and tear, office rent, wc, labor, office supplies, phone usage, and other accrued overhead. Oh yeah Im sure the guy would like to make a profit to feed his family too.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioHomeDoctor View Post
Plus insurance, gas, tool wear and tear, office rent, wc, labor, office supplies, phone usage, and other accrued overhead. Oh yeah Im sure the guy would like to make a profit to feed his family too.
All of those things are valid, but for clarification, are you suggesting that $6,400 is a good price?

I ask, because in my opinion, it seems like a contractor possibly trying to cover all of the expense you just named on one job.

It may very well be a good price if the contractor has reason to believe that the damage goes further than is evident by the photos.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:39 PM   #9

Quote:
How about you go and buy the materials, order the window, and we can walk you through step by step on how to do it yourself. Take lots of pictures and everyone here will offer good advice. This way you are only out the material costs and a little blood. Also the experience will teach you the value of a days hard labor....
Good point.

There are certainly people on here who can, and will, literally tell you exactly how to do this.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:14 PM   #10

Thank you for all of the tips and information. Unfortunately I am a disabled veteran and pulling siding/repairing sheathing etc is out of my physical capabilities.

Just to answer a few questions:

• The wood is not wet. It may be dark coloration from mold. Serv-pro came in recently and verified its non-active mold.
  • The problem has been around for a long time it appears. The sheathing shows signs of long term damage. The stud on the right side also has rotted away. Looking at it with a flashlight on each side, the sheathing appears to be damaged just in that one spot under the window.
  • The previous owner did his own work and it has shown its ugly head in different areas of the house. It appears that the section under the window was damaged before and he just cut the sheet rock out and replaced it. There was no insulation either.
  • The house was built in 1946.
  • All of the windows were replaced in 2005 right before we purchased it. Now recently we find out that all of them were installed incorrectly and need to be re-wrapped.

Even if the sheathing damage goes down a little past where it shows damage, can it really cost that much more to repair the sheathing since the siding is already off anyhow?

With the prices we have gotten from the 5 different contractors, I would think that it could cost $1500-$2000 to do it right with a new window as well.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:19 PM   #11

Here is a pic when a previous contractor went to open the paneling.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/694/dsc00621r.jpg/
Old 09-30-2011, 06:29 PM   #12

ServPro dropped the ball. Thats mold. Its impossible to know what I would estimate it at without knowing size and type of window. If I was you i would be concerned about every window since they were probably all installed by the same person. Order the new window. Remove all the drywall and mild with bleach. Wear face mask. Then call contractors back with a reduced more apparent scope of work. Keep in mind if mold remediation company bid it the cost would be closer to 10 g's. Also keep in mind the age of your home makes leed a concern.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:29 PM   #13
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 30

You need to get a hold of a couple more contractors---this is siding and window work with a little drywall and trim thrown in.

If the window must be replaced --consider an Anderson window if the outside looks right with the other windows---

Expect two days for two good workers plus a few extra hours to finish the drywall.

Go to a siding supplier in the afternoon and ask for a referral.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:39 PM   #14
Mod

Rewards Points: 60

Quote:
ServPro dropped the ball. Thats mold. Its impossible to know what I would estimate it at without knowing size and type of window. If I was you i would be concerned about every window since they were probably all installed by the same person. Order the new window. Remove all the drywall and mild with bleach. Wear face mask. Then call contractors back with a reduced more apparent scope of work. Keep in mind if mold remediation company bid it the cost would be closer to 10 g's. Also keep in mind the age of your home makes leed a concern.
Now were up to $10,000 to R&R one stepladder window.

Iím moving to Ohio.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:54 PM   #15

Let me add a little bit more to this and clarify a few things.

After the recent hurricane we noticed a slight bulge under the window in the paneling. We called a local guy who repaired our ceiling a few years ago and he mentioned that it might have just been the gluing coming off. He sent his finishing guy out and as the guy went to take the panel off, that is what you see in the picture.

He suggested I call my insurance company. They came out with serv-pro and the guy verified the mold was not active and only contained to that 4x4 area of sheet rock. He removed the sheet rock and sprayed the entire inside. The smell lasted almost two weeks from that stuff!

After that I started calling around to get quotes on window replacement and the contractors either do not return calls or really nasty. With the economy in the tank, you would think people would be beating down my door to work.

Anyway, I am tempted to cut away the paneling on either side of the damaged area just to see if there is anything else wrong. Or would that be a bad idea? Really dont want to make things worse.