Cost Effective Home Plan - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-26-2010, 06:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cost effective home plan

What is the most cost effective home plan for a 2500sqft home. Is a simple a frame house with dormers the best way to go.
I am in Charlotte NC

Advertisement

abbey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 256

Cost effective home plan

Is this a long term residence or one you plan on selling for profit?What size lot?Urban or rural?What is your budget?Hiring all work?

Advertisement

daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:49 PM   #3

Cost effective home plan

Long term, suburbs, 1 acre in a neighborhood that has 30 houses all on 1 acre lots. the lot is wooded, flat, hiring all work out, I may clean,lay tile, landscape, install fence.
Thanks,
abbey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:05 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Cost effective home plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey1 View Post
What is the most cost effective home plan for a 2500sqft home. Is a simple a frame house with dormers the best way to go.
I am in Charlotte NC
dormers add to the cost of the structure as well as add complexity and cost to the roof structure and as a result, the supporting building becomes more complex and expensive.

the most cost effective would be a very basic rectangle with a flat but low slope roof. For cost purposes, using rafters and a load bearing wall to split the width of the span would be cheaper than trusses.

minimal windows.

most people don't really want cost efficient. They like at least a little bit of fancy.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:32 PM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Cost effective home plan

Nap is right about actually wanting more than we think we do.

Simply look at what your are driving. Is it a Yugo?
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:43 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Cost effective home plan

minimal exterior corners, no roof adornments, plumbing on back-to-back walls and minimal hallways
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:40 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,038

Cost effective home plan

Floor plan to fit 2' or 4' increments, no waste. (Decking, sheathing-wall and roof, tile, backer board, drywall, trusses, etc.) Advanced framing: http://books.google.com/books?id=LR4...raming&f=false

http://books.google.com/books?id=9wk...raming&f=false

Gary
Old 08-27-2010, 02:41 AM   #8

Cost effective home plan

A rectangle with an aspect ratio calculated to minimize costs.

For example, a 50'x50' square (2500 sq. ft.) would minimize wall materials (4 * 50' = 200 linear ft.) but have a huge roof span (even adding a bunch of lally poles to minimize the structure required, any roof with a reasonable pitch would get really tall in the middle and I assume flat roofs are relatively expensive).

The other extreme, a 10'x250' long skinny rectangle (also 2500 sq. ft.) could have a trivial shed roof but would maximize wall materials (2 * 10' + 2 * 250' = 510 linear ft.).

Pick an aspect ratio somewhere in the middle and calculate its costs, along with the two extremes I mentioned. Plot them on a graph (aspect ratio vs. cost), and you'll get a curve. Repeatedly interpolate with new aspect ratios until you find the minimum.

Obviously, you want no non-load-bearing walls, the minimum amount of doors and window area required by code, and exactly one sink (the bathroom and kitchen can share, right?). Use the concrete slab foundation as the finished floor.

I think you should look into steel buildings (the kind people use for warehouses and stuff).... those are designed to provide minimum cost per sq. ft.

Hope that helps!
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:11 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,266

Cost effective home plan

If your property is suitable a simple rectangle shaped split foyer with 1250 ft up and 1250 ft down is usually very economical.

Advertisement

jogr is online now   Reply With Quote