Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2011, 06:06 AM   #1

Share |

cost to build an addition

We are planning to increase the size of our kitchen with an addition to our existing home. This will be a one story adddition, but we would like to extend the basement underneath rather than just having a crawl space. The size of the addition will be slightly less than 200 sf. I would like to know what we should expect to pay to have the addition ready for installation of the finishes (flooring, cabinets, counters). In other words, how much should we expect to pay to have

1. Architectural eesign and plans
2. the basement dug and poured (with required waterproofing),
3. the addition framed and made weather tight,
4. the installation of the additional electric (probably an additional 3 circuits),
5. the extension of existing ducts for HVAC requirements,
6. the related plumbing,
7. the install and finish of the drywall, and
8. the install of flooring (ceramic).

I realize that the cost can vary but I just want to have an idea when I start talking with contractors. We live in the highland, MD area with is very close to Columbia, MD. Thanks so much for any guidance!

Donald71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:40 AM   #2

There are so many variables here it is impossible to give you a number that means anything here. You could do it this like "This Old House" for a bazillion dollars, or do it on the cheap, BIG variation. And once you enter an architect into the mix, BIG variable.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:58 AM   #3

Thanks justbill. Although there are always variables, I think that I should be bale to get a general number, as the "tasks" are or should be standard. Of cousre assumptions need to be made including that the dirt is stable; building arae for footprint is free of obstructions or piping, electric, etc. I am not looking for information about the cost of finsh, other than a ceraminc tile floor. Assumption on that should be average quality. I am hoiping that contractors or other knowledgable folks that are familiar with my area can provide me a starting point.
Thanks again.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
Framing Contractor

Contractors in your area can absolutely give you an idea about this. Rather than randomly searching here for such a person, why not call a few in your area. If you are serious about the project, they will gladly come out and give you an estimate that will actually mean something.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:44 AM   #5

thanks for your reply; I was hoping to have some idea before I called the contractors.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
Framing Contractor

As a contractor, if a potential customer would ever say " Well Joe Schmo on DIY talk said it could be done for $XXX", I would probably just leave. Trust me, after talking to two or three, you will have a great idea of where you are going to be. Sounds like that job could be a nice job for a small contractor. I am sure you will find many willing to bid on it.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sixeightten For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (11-07-2011)
Old 11-07-2011, 09:03 AM   #7
Tileguy

Quote:
Donald71: "I am hoiping that contractors or other knowledgable folks that are familiar with my area can provide me a starting point."
If you are hoping to stir up local contractors from your area on this board then best of luck. That possibility is pretty slim. Call some locals.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:21 PM   #8
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald71
thanks for your reply; I was hoping to have some idea before I called the contractors.
Impossible to get an idea on the internet. You HAVE to call local contractors for an idea. There's no way around that.
woodworkbykirk (11-07-2011)
Old 11-07-2011, 03:53 PM   #9
journeyman carpenter

exactly as everyone else has said.. and dont mention diychat. same with anything you saw on the diy channel or hgtv pertaining to how something should be done... if its about a new product maybe.. but start mentioning how to do things. and you'll severely irritate the gc
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:44 PM   #10
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

About all I can do is to give you a price on design and plans. After you get those then get prices from contractors that will at least have a real chance at getting your business.
That way you are comparing apples to apples and not bean sprouts to tapioca pudding (if that makes sense).

Andy.

AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
addition, kitchen