Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Correct way to install bathtub please

I am having a fiberglass tub & surround installed. I want it done right. I'll be using Wonderboard on the walls & under the tub. Could someone please let me know if the following process is correct? Walls - down to studs, screw on Wonderboard, thinset over that, 2 X 4 for under bathtub lip, thin wall sheathing from floor to the 2 X 4. Floor - exterior-grade plywood, layer of thinset, Wonderboard over that, more thinset, tub on top...then install the surround.
Is taping the joints nessessary? Are all those layers of thinset necessary? Did I leave anything out ? Thanks.
Laura

Laura J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,892

Laura,I am a little confused---Here are the steps for installing a cast iron tub.

tub is placed on the wood sub floor --against the wood studs--a 2x4 ledger needs to be placed under the rear tub flange. If the tub needs to be shimmed to get it level--use steel shims--Squares of galvanized sheet metal work well.

After the tub is against the framing on all three sides---check the framing--Should be tight to the tub--and flat--use a straight edge to look for any studs that are bowed or out of line.

Now your plumber (you?) hooks up the drain set and adds a new mixer valve--

Next--Backer board--1/2" start at the top of the tub flange(back wall first.)

The backer is on the studs and stops at the top edge of the tub flange---don't worry about the gap
left above the tub ---that will be filled with thinset as the tile is installed--

corners and seams are taped with tiling mesh and thinset as you are installing the tile--not before--

If you are water proofing the walls before tiling let me know--the seam taping changes a bit if you do.

The floor backer board is installed after the tub is in place--no backer under tub.

Last edited by oh'mike; 08-10-2010 at 06:49 PM.
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

"I am having a fiberglass tub & surround installed." ------ A fiberglass surround? As in over the unpainted drywall......

Be safe, Gary
Old 08-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #4

oh' mike
Since it's a fiberglass tub, I would think the entire tub floor needs support. I heard the floor of these tubs can bow. I won't be tiling the walls - it will get a plastic surround. So I'm thinking it'll be a slightly different installation process than that of a cast iron tub with tiled surround no?
Laura
Old 08-10-2010, 09:39 PM   #5

Gary
...No, as in over the Wonderboard. The part of the wall I can see (that isn't hidden by the free standing metal shower) is plywood. Don't know what I'll find with the rest of the walls so I plan to replace the walls with Wonderboard. The outside of the house is just 1/4" uncoated hardwood panels. That's why the Wonderboard - overkill on addressing possible condensation.
Laura
Old 08-10-2010, 10:40 PM   #6
DIY staff

Sorry Laura,I am getting more wrong that right tonight.---Mike---

Fiberglass surrounds and tubs are attached to the bare studs--then drywalled around--

Mortar is usually placed under the tub bottom to minimize flexing----With that I'm going to quit--

Just to hot to think tonight.--M--
Old 08-11-2010, 06:25 PM   #7

Thanks. I have questions about what may be unnecessary. Do I need a layer of thinset on the floor before the Wonderboard goes down too? Do I need to tape those joints or is thinset enough. I still want to use Wonderboard behind the surround because of my lack of siding & the damp winters. That would get screwed onto the studs no...should I thinset joints, AND tape? Should I skip the skim coat of thinset on those walls? The surround is supposed to install with "Super Grip Foam Tape" but that sounds a bit slipshod to me. I'm thinking neutral cure silicone?
Laura
Old 08-11-2010, 07:42 PM   #8
DIY staff

Can you tell us exactly what tub and surround? A link to their site would be helpful.

a layer of thinset needs to go under your backer on the floor---It fills any hollow spots --thus giving the tile floor a stable base---Not a big deal to do---

I will need to know the tub and surround before I can offer any useful suggestions.---Mike---

Laura, Thanks for putting up with my dumb answer last night!--M---
Old 08-11-2010, 10:04 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

Since we are on the subject, I am confused about the leveling of the
bathtub. Second Post-- OH-MIKE-- The horizontal 2 by 4 nailed to the
studs underneath the flange is placed at a slope? So it will give a little
slope toward the drainage of the bathtub? Is the bathtub itself
completely level, or is there a slope? Thanks
Gabriel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:28 AM   #10
DIY staff

The tub needs to be level----most floors are not---

The ledger board needs to be level---the tub itself is sloped to drain properly--when installed on a level floor.---Mike---
Old 08-12-2010, 10:01 AM   #11

oh'mike,
No problem on the "dumb answer".
No tile on the floor. Just, what my contactor calls, "Lick & Stick", - those peel & stick vinyl tiles.
Now don't laugh ......smaaaall bathroom.
This is the tub
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...&ad_type=broad
This is the surround
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...er-88-4111.htm
So should I skim coat thinset on the walls? Should I tape? Should I tape the seams in the floor? Without floor tiles do I still need thinset under the Wonderboard as well as over it? Will be putting in a new subfloor - I smell wet wood in there. REAL damp here in winter. Have mold growing in places where there are no leaks. Attic is damp just from the outside air - too much of ventilation I think.
Laura
Old 08-12-2010, 01:51 PM   #12
DIY staff

O.K.---That is a special use tub---I have never installed one exactly like that.

However---I believe that that one may require a ledger or brackets on three sides---
It has an open front,with a shirt to close off the face--

You will need to contact the manufacturer or supplier for the installation instructions.

It also sounds like the plastic surround is glued or taped to the wall--meaning that you must put up a backer of some kind----You might like DensShield for that--it looks a lot like drywall and can be taped into regular drywall easily.

Tape the board behind the surround--nothing fancy--just to keep out air---

If your floor is getting peal and stick vinyl tiles you will want to use Multi Ply--or other smooth water proof plywood underlayment--that tile needs a smooth surface to stick---Wonderboard will not be a good choice.

Any more questions?---Mike--
Old 08-12-2010, 02:18 PM   #13
Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
tub is placed on the wood sub floor --against the wood studs--a 2x4 ledger needs to be placed under the rear tub flange. If the tub needs to be shimmed to get it level--use steel shims--Squares of galvanized sheet metal work well.
What's the purpose of the ledger with a cast iron tub, just a little added support?

The instructions for my cast iron receptor didn't say anything about installing a ledger first. I guess it's not needed for a receptor?
Old 08-12-2010, 04:15 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 28

I put a ledger on the back wall when I installed my cast iron tub. I didn't think it served much purpose and the the instructions that came with the Kohler Villager tub didn't mention it. I imagine it prevents the tub from tipping should someone stand on the wall edge say, while installing tiles. The ledger won't fit the entire length. You need to cut it short. Mine is screwed to the middle 3 studs. I found it helpful to attach a piece of twine on both ends of the leger ant raise it up into place once the tub was set and shimmed and level then screw it into place resting up against the tub ledge underneath. A pro installer probably has more faith in their measurements, but that method worked for me. just hope I explained it so that it makes sense.

And just to reiterate to the OP, no wonderboard under the tub. Subfloor, thinset, then level tub. The tub does not tilt toward the drain it is designed with it's own slope.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:26 PM   #15
DIY staff

Proby---The ledger is there as insurance in case the little feet sink into the floor over the years.