Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2011, 10:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Corner shed Roof???

Hello all,

I was on here the other day asking about DIY sheds and pre-builds, I am going for a DIY

I am going to build a corner shed now to reduce the amount of wasted space in the yard and incorporate a slide on one side and a swing on the other... My question is how to build the roof?? anyone build these before? I searched in sheds and didn't find anything.

thanks guys

bigbearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:56 AM   #2

Corner shed Roof???

A diagram with the measurements for the spans would be nice. Check for side yard and set-back clearances with your Building Department so removal isn't a requirement later....

Gary

Old 04-07-2011, 01:31 PM   #3

Corner shed Roof???

Sorry about that... here is a little drawing of what I was thinking... I would like the swing header tied in somehow.. I have to little girls that want one so why not... I only know the outside wall dimensions but would be guessing that the 2 returning in would be about 4 or 4.5ft. hope this helps?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf shed.pdf (6.7 KB, 951 views)
Old 04-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
old guy contractor

Corner shed Roof???

I have no idea how you're going to frame that roof

Have you considered building a cape roof and extending the ridge pole long enough to be the swing?
tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #5

Corner shed Roof???

The pole for the swing will be in the wall... NOT in the roofline I know the drawing is from the top I will frame it and support it in the wall have it come out and A legged at the end... My girls are 2 and 3 months.. no weight or abuse.. I saw one on someone elses and it was pretty darn strong.. stronger than the cheapo kits from Walmart...

but I still don't know how to do a corner shed roof... I looked at local builders to see one inside but no one sells them... does anyone have pictures of how one is done?
Old 04-08-2011, 01:49 PM   #6

Corner shed Roof???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbearz View Post
The pole for the swing will be in the wall... NOT in the roofline I know the drawing is from the top I will frame it and support it in the wall have it come out and A legged at the end... My girls are 2 and 3 months.. no weight or abuse.. I saw one on someone elses and it was pretty darn strong.. stronger than the cheapo kits from Walmart...

but I still don't know how to do a corner shed roof... I looked at local builders to see one inside but no one sells them... does anyone have pictures of how one is done?
Your girls are gonna grow and you have to build it so that they can use it in the future.
Eight year olds can really make a swing go high and you will need lots of swinging room.
I like the idea of extending the ridge board out and hanging the swing from that.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:33 PM   #7

Corner shed Roof???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
Your girls are gonna grow and you have to build it so that they can use it in the future.
Eight year olds can really make a swing go high and you will need lots of swinging room.
I like the idea of extending the ridge board out and hanging the swing from that.
Agreed Wildie, but a corner shed doesn't have one.. well I dont think it does.. still have yet to find one I can look at. If anyone has pictures that would be awesome.

The one I looked at was built and braced into the wall.. It didnt move at all...
Old 04-08-2011, 05:34 PM   #8
KemoSabe

Corner shed Roof???

Here's an idea.

Build a basic hip roof design, but put a gable over the door. This will create 2 valleys, which will terminate at the 45 degree corners.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:15 PM   #9

Corner shed Roof???

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneframer View Post
Here's an idea.

Build a basic hip roof design, but put a gable over the door. This will create 2 valleys, which will terminate at the 45 degree corners.
I thought of that too, but instaed of a gable doing the front as well..

Do you need to have an overhang? or can it stop at the walls?

Wish I could find one to look at make life alot easier.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:13 AM   #10
KemoSabe

Corner shed Roof???

I would at least put enough overhang so that your fascia board will overlap the siding for water hold out purposes.

You could run a flat roof plane from the 22.5 degree hips at the 45 corners. It isn't going to be a technically easy roof to frame in any case, but it'll be a unique structure.

I don't have any pics of sheds like this, but I've framed some homes with similar details.

Basically the rear corners are common hip framing and the front hips on the 45 corners are of the octagonal variety. There are many design options you can add to make the front roof plane more interesting, such as a barrel vault.
Attached Thumbnails
Corner shed Roof???-005-4-.jpg   Corner shed Roof???-009-9.jpg   Corner shed Roof???-040.jpg  
Old 04-09-2011, 08:28 AM   #11
KemoSabe

Corner shed Roof???

Here's a house I helped frame with a gable on the 45 walls, on the area above the garage, behind the chimney.
Attached Thumbnails
Corner shed Roof???-003-14.jpg  
Old 04-09-2011, 09:47 AM   #12

Corner shed Roof???

flat roof?
craig4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:38 AM   #13

Corner shed Roof???

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneframer View Post
I would at least put enough overhang so that your fascia board will overlap the siding for water hold out purposes.

You could run a flat roof plane from the 22.5 degree hips at the 45 corners. It isn't going to be a technically easy roof to frame in any case, but it'll be a unique structure.

I don't have any pics of sheds like this, but I've framed some homes with similar details.

Basically the rear corners are common hip framing and the front hips on the 45 corners are of the octagonal variety. There are many design options you can add to make the front roof plane more interesting, such as a barrel vault.
Wow Loneframer.. you have done some very nice roof lines. Those are awesome and a little out of my league.

I was just looking for something like this.. I just dont know how to build the rafters for this? you cant use a ridge beam because there isnt one.. is there? I was looking for a pic of the interior of this pic then I could get it but I can't find any...
Attached Thumbnails
Corner shed Roof???-outside-pic.jpg  
Old 04-09-2011, 10:54 AM   #14

Corner shed Roof???

http://www.carpentry-pro-framer.com/...ramid-roof.gif
craig4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:57 AM   #15

Corner shed Roof???

I have seen that pyramid before... Is a 5 sided the same idea? just add in one more section?