Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

converting walls opinions

Hello,

I am contemplating completely taking down one wall and making big window-like openings in two others in order to opening up my downstair's living space. This area flows from the kitchen in the rear of the house to the living room in the front, with a dining room in the middle.

The two pictures labeled "kitchen left" show a 41.5" wide wall separating the stairs going upstairs and the dining area. My thought is to take this wall out completely. Does this make sense? There is no outlets, lights, or anything on either side. The alternative would be to take out the upper half and make a counter-like space.

The two pictures labeled "kitchen right" shows the wall on the opposite side of the doorway. It is 55.5" and is adjacent to the oven. On the dining area side of this wall is the thermastate and a window on the perpendicular exterior wall. There is also a baseboard heating duct entering the kitchen. My thought is to knock out the upper half , leaving just enough space in the corner to cover the cabinet between this wall and the stove. I'd then have a sort of walk up counter / breakfast / snack stand. In addition, an opening here would allow a partial view from the kitchen toward the front door.

In the "dining living" pictures, this is a 10' wall separating the living and dining room. My thought is to take this out completely, making one open space. However, it appears that the end is a steel stud?

If I were to just make an upper opening here, it wouldn't be centered on the front exterior window, which I guess isn't too big a deal. Thoughts?

My best guess is that each of these walls are non-load bearing as they run parallel to the basement joists below. I would get an expert opinion prior to knocking stuff down. But assuming these are non-load bearing, what are thoughts as to this plan?
Attached Thumbnails
converting walls opinions-dining-living-1.jpg   converting walls opinions-dining-living-2.jpg   converting walls opinions-kitchen-left-1.jpg   converting walls opinions-kitchen-left2.jpg   converting walls opinions-kitchen-right1.jpg  

converting walls opinions-kitchen-right2.jpg  

enigmaingr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

You might be better off posting this on the carpentry part of the forum. Interior decorators are not that knowledgable about load bearing walls, relocating electric (which you theromastate would be) etc.. Looks can be deceiving and that is what decorators do, not the nuts and bolts of tearing out walls.

m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1951mm
You might be better off posting this on the carpentry part of the forum. Interior decorators are not that knowledgable about load bearing walls, relocating electric (which you theromastate would be) etc.. Looks can be deceiving and that is what decorators do, not the nuts and bolts of tearing out walls.
Thank you for the reply. My main concern was the layout of the apartment though once the wall is taken down. If the wall were to be taken down, I was wondering where the best place to put the TV and dining area would be. I have spoken to a carpenter and he said taking down the wall is doable.
Nef1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nef1

Thank you for the reply. My main concern was the layout of the apartment though once the wall is taken down. If the wall were to be taken down, I was wondering where the best place to put the TV and dining area would be. I have spoken to a carpenter and he said taking down the wall is doable.
Wow I am so sorry I am on my iPhone and it accidentally took me to reply to this post instead of my own. Or maybe it was my fault and not the iPhone.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1951mm
Sorry replied to the wrong post
Old 08-11-2011, 06:31 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

You are asking a really hard question without seeing the whole space and knowing what your furnishings are and what you picture for the final outcome. Pictures can say lots, but not really give the feel of what you are hoping for. IMHO you need to talk with someone, be it a friend, an interior decorator, a carpenter or soneone who you trust their judgement who could view the space in person. This would be hard to answer over a message board.

m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior design, opening, wall opening