Converting Porch W Slab To Interior Space - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2014, 02:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Converting porch w slab to interior space

My home has a screened in porch, which is covered by a standard framed roof supported by the foundation on the porch perimeter. The porch framing, on all sides, sits on poured concrete foundation walls. I porch floor is a concrete slab, which is extends to all walls ABOVE the perimeter foundation.

I need to raise the grade level of the porch to match the existing interior space. Two options:
1. Run new joists across the slap, cut to correct the slab pitch; these will be about 4" wide at the shallow end and 7" wide at the deep (outside) end of the slab.
2. Remove the concrete slab and run new full-size joists atop the concrete foundation walls on both sides.

Which option would be considered normal practice? I believe option 2 would be the better solution but is it worth the added expense? For Option 2, after removing the slab I would have the gravel base or raw dirt under the new joists. I can insulate the joists and somehow get a cover under them. Do I just leave the dirt or gravel exposed?

Thanks for all help.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Converting porch w slab to interior space-porch-found.-slab-w-details-reduced.jpg  

Advertisement

RCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 572

Can you post a real picture of the outside?
Biggest issue I can see from that drawing is how close the bottom of the wall will be to grade.

Advertisement

Old 01-16-2014, 04:06 PM   #3

Photo of side wall. Four windows in a row are screens. The window to the left is currently a laundry room but that space will be incorporated into the enclosed porch; the laundry room will be relocated. This entire wall will get new windows.
Attached Thumbnails
Converting porch w slab to interior space-side-wall-reduced.jpg  
Old 01-17-2014, 06:03 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,020

With either option, you may require a building permit. Depends on if the slab is insulated at perimeter, under the slab or not. Then it would be on the plans as a conditioned living space. After removing the slab, you need 18" clearance under the bottoms of the new floor joists, IMO, go with option of; on slab framing, to meet code. Otherwise, you also need access to the new crawl space as well as ventilation/insulation/poly on dirt. With on slab framing, just add rigid foam board under the floor, plus the cavity insulation to meet code required R-19; http://energycode.pnl.gov/EnergyCode...e=Pennsylvania

Gary

Last edited by Gary in WA; 01-17-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:12 PM   #5

Hey, Gary, thanks for the detailed response, exactly what I needed. I can see why you recommend going with on-slab framing. Is there no concern that the slab, with the additional weight from furniture, etc., might settle and throw the floor off level?

This is a large renovation and I will get a permit. I'm laying out the drawings now, which is how I discovered the slab issue.
Regards
Ray
Old 01-17-2014, 08:20 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,020

The weight isn't a factor with the compacted crushed stone and rated as living space. Your local AHJ will have better guidelines for you.... glad we could help, thanks for the pictures!

Gary
PS. remember to keep the dryer exhaust hood at least 3' from any window/door opening to house, as pictured appears too close. Welcome to the forums!

Advertisement

Last edited by Gary in WA; 01-17-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foundation , framing , slab