Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2012, 11:26 PM   #1

Share |

Converting a Pole Barn

I have a 25x30 pole barn type building that I am looking to convert into a more suitable workshop. This will entail a concrete floor and stick walls. It currently is very solidly built in pole barn style. It has heavy guage metal as the only barrier between the inside and the outside. After pouring inside, I would potentially like to have a concrete walk/ patio that would span the 10 feet between the house and the workshop on one side. I have plenty of experience pouring and finishing concrete on new projects, but I have a couple of questions on this scenario: 1. Can I use the existing metal siding as a form to pour the floor inside the shop? 2. If so, when I go to pour concrete on the outside, will leaving the metal siding as a barrier between the two be a problem? 3. There is a great deal of conflicting information about pouring concrete in direct contact with the existing 6"x6" supports for the building?

Thank you for the suggestions.

rooster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:45 PM   #2

Converting a Pole Barn

I myself do not like concrete coming into contact with anything other than pressure treated wood. Concrete is a conduit for moisture. With that said:

I would wrap by 6x6 at the level of the concrete slab (if the columns are not pressure treated) with some type of product like grace vicor or even ice and water shield. This will need the concrete from contacting the column.

I do not like concrete touching metal if also exposed to air (rebar and welded wire mesh is fine inside). I would fine a material to place between the siding and the concrete, maybe something like a bituminous fiberboard. As far as using the metal siding as a form, that would depend on how well the siding is attached. I understand you are not placing probably no more than 4 to 6 inches of concrete, but you do not want to have a "blow out" while placing your slab. Maybe some bracing along the outside bottom of the siding would aid.

make sure to install some control joints in your concrete, probably best at each column (don't know if you have interior columns or not), basically run a line from column to column (not needed along outside perimeter of slab). Typically 1/4 the depth of your slab is sufficient. All concrete cracks as your know, so this will allow it to crack where you want it. Just a friendly reminder.

my humble opinion, I'm sure you'll get many many more, and some will probably disagree with mine.

Good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:10 PM   #3

Converting a Pole Barn

If the pole shed is in good shape just put a 2x4 (or 2x6) on the posts at the bottom.
This becomes the level of the top of hte concrete and gives you something to screed on.
Then insulate between the posts and finish the inside of the walls.
Here is a thread on Tractorbynet http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/p...pole-barn.html There are others to you can search for.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mae-ling For This Useful Post:
GBrackins (09-17-2012)