Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2004, 06:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Converting Cellars

I'm thinking about buying a property that has a large (split into two rooms) cellar. I wonder if anyone can tell me what would be involved in tturning these cold, damp spaces into livable, usable rooms?

Ta
:D

Cannarwilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 08:27 AM   #2

Converting Cellars

You need to keep the damp out of the room once you're done. This can either be done with waterproofing slurry or with a plastic membrane. What kind of budget do you have?

kyodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 01:50 PM   #3

Converting Cellars

not a lot... but as it turns out we didn't buy that property. The coal cellar of the one we have bought has been finished already. Although there is a partition wall (made of plater board I think) that we're are going to want to take out. Any tips?
Cannarwilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 12:10 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Converting Cellars

Plan ahead, How are you going to finish he areas off were the wall was. Similar decor style. Is there tile or flooring under the wall (was it added after).If there are outlets in the wall then you need to find out how they were installed. After all the little tid bits you can go at it with a hammer and a Saws All type saw make for good demolition tools. You will be surprised just how much garbage one wall can make.

Should be practically no worries that it would be a support wall in a cellar unless it is made up of masonry or something. But, if it is we don't just pull out support walls.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:40 AM   #5

Converting Cellars

This is a big question, however, there are a few main points to first consider.

1: Make sure the cellar is dry. If not add french drains around the perimeter of the house and apply a sealant to the inside floor and walls.

2: Make sure you have the ceiling height to put in either a dropped ceiling or a drywall ceiling..

3) Make sure you have the heating system for supporting the additional finished area.

4) If you have any intentions of putting a bathroom in the cellar, plan first and talk to your plumber. The floor may need to be broken up to reach sewer pipes or to put in a pump-up holding tank.

5) Considering Lighting and the addition of new windows. A finished cellar/basement that is dark is not inviting.

These are just a few of the questions you need to ask yourself prior to starting such a project.

Regards,

Mark
imported_mjdonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 07:36 AM   #6

Converting Cellars

We've lived in a victorian house for thirty plus years. Over time my Mum has had various folk in to try to make the cellar habitable, or even just dry. Many thousands of pounds have been wasted on plaster which fell off etc. etc.

She had all but given up. (Rest of house is dry, warm with no signs or smells of damp.) But someone has recommended dutch dampproofing treatment which I think involves bitumen coating and cavity bricks. Has anyone else used this? I found press cuttings about it in the late 90s when it had been installed. but no recent references to check.

for info, have had a dehumidifier in basement for years. Rapidly fills up but no apparent difference to dampness problem.

Would appreciate any info or advice. Many thanks.
clare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 04:29 AM   #7

Converting Cellars

hiya, weve got cellars, and converted them into 3 offices, a loo, and cinema :D its great!

devonbabe is offline   Reply With Quote