Converting Carport To Garage - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2007, 09:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Converting Carport to Garage

I wonder if anyone can offer any thoughts on this subject. I've done a websearch on our local building codes and I can't find anything relevant on the subject.

We just bought our first home, an approximately 50-year old wood frame rambler with crawl space. There are several vents (unblocked), two of which exit the side of the house into our attached carport. The entrance to the crawlspace is also within the attached carport.

The previous owners appear to have done a quasi-garage conversion of the carport. The "garage" is now enclosed on three sides, but there is no garage door in the front. There are also two windows in the garage into the interior of the house. I'm pretty sure that that latter fact makes this conversion "non-code." What I would like to do is finish this job right and make this a full garage conversion. I'll probably use a contractor, as I think this is beyond my DIY skills.

With all that introduction, my question is whether I can convert to a fully-enclosed garage when the garage would include these two crawl space vents and the crawl space access? Do vents have to vent to the outside, or is venting to the garage sufficient?

Any thoughts would certainly be appreciated. We're located in Northern Virginia, if that's relevant to the issue.

Advertisement

viking1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 09:53 PM   #2
Eibwen

Rewards Points: 500

I wouldnt think that would be a major issue with two vents and crawl access being in the garage but I would confirm with a contractor in the bidding process for the work you want to do or check with the local inspectors office.

What part of No. Virginia are you located?

Advertisement

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 11:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

If you are going to have a contractor do the job and that contractor gets a permit then there should be no problem. The contractor will need to insure you have proper ventilation to to the crawl space. He will need to address the window issue and all should be taken care of.
warnerww is offline   Reply With Quote