Convert Wood Fireplace To Gas Fireplace - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-08-2007, 07:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

convert wood fireplace to gas fireplace

Hi, i have a wood fireplace I'd like to convert to a gas fireplace, and take all the bricks off and replace em with marble. I know this is not an easy job, I need hire licensed people to install the fireplace, and I will install the marble myself. my question, anyone has done this before? what is the cost to convert a wood to gas? how do I cut the marble?

the first pic is the wood fireplace, the second photo is the one i want to build.

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
convert wood fireplace to gas fireplace-thum.img_2401.jpg   convert wood fireplace to gas fireplace-thum.img_2431.jpg  

Advertisement

brisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisk View Post
and take all the bricks off and replace em with marble. I know this is not an easy job, I need hire licensed people to install the fireplace, and I will install the marble myself. my question, anyone has done this before? what is the cost to convert a wood to gas? how do I cut the marble?

the first pic is the wood fireplace, the second photo is the one i want to build.

thanks

Why not just go over the brick with the marble?

How far is the nearest gas line for the new gas fireplace?

Does this chimney vent any other appliance? furnace, water heater...?

You will need to have a gas line run and maybe an electric line for some gas fireplaces (electronic ignition).

The insert and install of the insert may range around 1,500 - 2,500 depending on the model you choose. May need a flue liner if it is not a direct vent model.

Then factor in the marble and any other items.

Advertisement

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:23 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I would not recommended gas fireplace. it can create problem sometimes. You have to keep children away from it. if can contact expert for it..
ifireplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:17 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

I agree that you definately need to have a fireplace expert evaluate your chimney. I see much less hazard with a gas unit than I do with a woodburning unit. Keeping kids away from it applies to both however.

You could do the marble yourself (tiles). A good wetsaw will cut it.

The gas plumbing and work on the actual fireplace needs to be done by a professional. Running gas to the unit could get rather involved.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote