Convert Swimming Pool Into Wine Cellar - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2009, 07:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Convert swimming pool into wine cellar

I want to convert my swimming pool into a wine cellar. Does anyone has experience with this kind of project?

Advertisement

unclesuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 12
Thumbs up

I have been busy with just this for the past 5 months.All DIY. This is in a courtyard in the middle of my house and totally private. My old pool was 13 meters long and 4 wide and I split it into 3 spaces by casting dividing walls from reinforced concrete.Never done this before and am not an engineer,but it went off without a hitch.The deep end space is now 4 x 3 meters and I have elevated the head space by adding low surrounding walls of 200 mm, also cast concrete.The inside walls were plastered smooth and the floor leveled out and screeded for tiles.
A set of steel and wood stairs were built and installed at a 35 degree incline.
A roof of reinforced concrete over steel beams and trusses at 500 mm Intervals on corrugated roofing plate with 100 x 100 x 5 mm high tensile reinforcing mat incorporated was cast to a thickness of 75 mm, bottom supported until cured for 28 days.The roof slab is elevated by 270 mm above floor level.
32 Mpa cement was used with crushed aggregate of 12 mm and it supports 85 kg per sq meter own weight plus about 900 kg/sq meter load.The roof does duty as a lounging deck for sunbathers who utilise a new small pool of 4 x 3 meters next door.It is covered by a timber deck.
Access to the wine cellar is via a hinged, hidden hatch of 1000 x 1500 mm underneath the wooden deck of which a portion is loose and is lifted up to access the hatch.
The wine cellar has since evolved into a man cave and a small bar and a TV set have been added.Storage for about 800 bottles remains available and the
place is hugely popular and much talked about.
In the center space I have installed a small 4 x 3 m pool and in the remaining space I plan to erect a fountain and flower bed.
I rate the project well within the capabilities of any competent do it your self-er.

Advertisement

Ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,352

And just when you thought you heard it all.
Is this an outside pool?
Old 01-03-2015, 05:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 260

Ursus,

What part of the country you located?

Do any of your walls/floors leach condensation or other? As Joe said, this is a new and creative one- great job !
tstex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:57 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,090

he's outside the continental us, tex ! In the United States, our conc's strength is measured in “pounds per square inch” or psi,,, in eur, conc's measured in megapascals ( MPa ),,, 32 MPa converts to approx 4,643 psi - above any engineer's spec therefore more expensive.

in fairness, local codes may require that strength,,, i question the thickness of the supporting conc, too,,, pool btms are typically 4" w/welded-wire reinforcement in the wrong place after the conc jabonies finish placing it

hopefully he applied a good water-resist interior coating to the properly prepp'd pool interior walls prior to starting the work

Last edited by stadry; 01-03-2015 at 07:11 PM.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:35 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,582

" pool btms are typically 4" w/welded-wire reinforcement in the wrong place after the conc jabonies finish placing it "

Depends on how the concrete was placed, if cast in place then yes , if it was shotcrete placement then it should be okay.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:22 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,090

agree, woody - shot's much stronger,,, good call
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:27 AM   #8

Smile

Hi guys, Thanks for your feedback.firstly I am located in South Africa which is a dry country 6000ft above sea level in Gauteng province. Groundwater seepage here is not a problem and the walls of the old pool which are 200mm handpacked reinforced concrete covered with waterproof marbelite cement to keep the water inside and work just as well in keeping any seepage out.Over this I painted a propriatory waterproof undercoat before the final coat.

The old pool itself was located in the middle of my house in a rectangular courtyard.Problem was that the surrounding walls screened off the sun and the water(100,000litres) was never comfortably temperate.Installing solar heating was a no go due to the volume of water that had to be heated and would just have cost too much and been too complicated.I have put in 200mm worth of ventilation ducts to allow for interior air circulation but not allowing in light which wine does not like.
As the roof slab will only carry light loads.(Human Weight) My calculations indicated that the mix I chose would be more that adequate which it has proved to be.The steel beam underlay is well overdesigned so the concrete is supported immovably and I suspect it will probably carry double the load when completely cured.
An engineer pal of mine was over a while ago and laughingly remarked that amateurs always tend to overdesign and that he would happily park his Landrover on my roof.No way Jose,no way!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2015, 06:01 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 830

I would be concerned with the pool floating now that it will be empty. Depends on the ground water in your area.
Check this link

http://phildetweiler.net/poolremoval/floatingpool.html
danpik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:29 AM   #10

Smile

The other two thirds of the pool have all had multiple drainage openings cut into them.The wine cellar floor also has a drain which connects to a natural opening under the original pool concrete.I have poured 50 litres ( Plus minus 10 gallons) of water down there without filling it.

Like I said this is a dry country................
Old 01-09-2015, 06:42 AM   #11

Smile

Forgot to mention: the old pool is now 1/3 filled with earth and has a smaller fibreglass pool shell of 4x3x1.2 metres filled with water in the middle 1/3 and the cellar with a concrete roof slab weighing 85 kg,s( about 180 lbs?) per square meter spread over 12 square meters eg. 1020 kg,s in total (2244 lbs)in the last 1/3.
So even if the unthinkable happens will she float, considering the drainage above?You tell me.......
Old 01-09-2015, 06:55 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 28

If this is a "dry" country, why would you need a wine cellar. Are there questionable activities going on here that someone should check. Maybe you are creating a "speak easy". Sounds like a neat project, any pictures available? trying to visualize the hidden access hatch configuration in my mind. Small mind, hard to visualize.
Inspector102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:46 PM   #13

He, he, Inspector you are pulling my leg.South African wines are exported all over the world.We just have a "dry" climate.Infrequent summer rainstorms intense but of short duration.High temperatures and low humidity due to our height above sea level.340 cloud free days a year on average.
And South Africans, like everybody else love a novelty , so the wine cellar doubles as a get together for all the "manne"where we watch our national sport - rugby and talk cars,sports, politics and wimmen in no particular order.You would feel right at home there.
Meanwhile the ladies are right where you would expect them.Catching a suntan on top of our heads.
Regards the hidden entry hatch.Imagine a bare concrete slab with a rectangular opening fitted with a hatch which swings up to open.On top of this slab and so also covering the hatch we have a closely slatted wooden pool deck.The part that covers the hatch area being separate but close fitting and thus capable of being lifted away to access the hatch and there you have it.
People who don't know about it miss it 90% of the time.
This whole project has made my house unique and will be a major selling point should I ever wish to sell..
Old 01-09-2015, 03:23 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 830

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursus View Post
Forgot to mention: the old pool is now 1/3 filled with earth and has a smaller fibreglass pool shell of 4x3x1.2 metres filled with water in the middle 1/3 and the cellar with a concrete roof slab weighing 85 kg,s( about 180 lbs?) per square meter spread over 12 square meters eg. 1020 kg,s in total (2244 lbs)in the last 1/3.
So even if the unthinkable happens will she float, considering the drainage above?You tell me.......
The link and comment I posted was actually directed towards the original poster. Now that I see that you had to dredge up a 5 1/2 year old post, I would not have even added the comment. No doubt yours won't float if you cut at least one hole in the bottom.
danpik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 04:02 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 146

It sounds like the wine cellar in So. Africa could also double as a bomb shelter.

Advertisement

Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote