Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 10

Convert garage door to high lift door?

I have a 16" x 7' roll up door with torsion springs on a shaft.

I would like to raise the door as close as possible to my 112" ceiling to accomondate a car lift. Adding a dummy panel is not in my best interest since I don't want it rolling forward in the garage as far as it does now either.

I am considering using a Liftmaster 3800 jackshaft opener but my question is in regards to the torsion shaft and spring adjustment. Can I leave the shaft in its current location and simply install the opener to it? Also, what about the spring adjustment? It would seem to me the springs would need to be increased in tension since when raised about 1-1/2 panels would be vertical.

Any help from a door expert would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jerry

65cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:44 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Doesn't sound like you have a "roll-up" door. But rather an "overhead door", a door that slides up and back on ceiling mounted tracks that extend about 8' back into your garage. A "roll-up" door rolls into a cylindrical scroll just above your header.

If you have the normal overhead door, they usually require 24" above the door opening for the curve of the track. That would leave you 4" that you could raise your door from where it probably is now.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding?

Last edited by Willie T; 03-01-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:02 PM   #3
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
Doesn't sound like you have a "roll-up" door. But rather an "overhead door", a door that slides up and back on ceiling mounted tracks that extend about 8' back into your garage. A "roll-up" door rolls into a cylindrical scroll just above your header.

If you have the normal overhead door, they usually require 24" above the door opening for the curve of the track. That would leave you 4" that you could raise your door from where it probably is now.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding?

Yes, overhead, not rollup.

Negative on only raising it 4". I can easily raise the track 20 or so. The question was in regard to the spring adjustment.
65cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:37 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

If you are increasing the weight of the door, then the spring will need more torsion. Depending on the increase in weight a new spring may be needed. The doors on springs are sold in sets. Adding on opener will not make any difference.
Mop in Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:23 PM   #5

OK here is what I gather you want to do...

You don't necessarily want your door to be taller, you just want it to go higher in the header closer to the ceiling, correct?

What you will need to do is extend the vertical tracks up 13"... That should be the max. you can go because you need 15" of headroom (You can go with less but its a royal pain).

You will also need new springs and your shaft-line will need to be moved up 13" as well.

If you're going to go with the high lift solution I would definitely suggest a Liftmaster jackshaft operator. Using a normal operator with a trolley is a good way to destroy a high lift door.
adamc91115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:38 PM   #6

You can get some good data on this at http://www.truetex.com/garage.htm

Douginteg is offline   Reply With Quote