Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2008, 08:58 PM   #1

Share |

contractors step inside...

Hello all,
We are getting close to completion of our new home. It has been a positive experience with only a few minor snags. This is our first build so I'm curious about final payment for our builder (I'd ask him but he's on a well derserved fishing trip). Do builders normally provide a detailed list of supporting invoices to figure out the final total or is tough to do? Finally, some of the trades came in well over the original budgets, how should I go about questioning these? Thanks allot for your input!

nubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:42 PM   #2

Your contract that you signed with the builder prior to starting construction should have outlined all costs and set exact prices for the exact product. After additions, change orders, or deletion adjustments as he priced them, you should know exactly what it was costing you.

If he's building it and then billing you get ready to get taken advantage of.

You need to go back to your contract and see what it says. Increases in cost shouldn't be passed along to you (above contracted price) unless it was agreed upon in advance.

Also, don't pay a final payment until you receive a passing final inspection.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:05 PM   #3

Sounds like cost plus. You should have received copies of all quotes and had final say in the subs being used. The subs should be held to their quote if no changes were made to warrant increased cost and material cost didn't go up. Any deletions should reflect lower than quoted cost. It would have also helped greatly to get a quote or two yourself for each of the various trades to make sure the quotes the builder is getting are reasonable.

You should have required the builder to give you copies of all invoices on a weekly basis with a spreadsheet showing original quoted/budgeted prices and actual prices so you could keep track of the progress and money being spent and question any discrepancies.

If you think you are being over charged for the work, take your plans to another company or three of that same trade and get some quotes. Also, be sure you get all the invoices. Especially the ones in question.

If it wasn't cost plus, see thekctermite's post.
KHouse75 is offline   Reply With Quote