Contractors Obligations - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 03:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

contractors obligations

I am hoping to get some clarificaton on what a contractor should be doing and charging my wife and i have planned to be an owner builder on our custom home in southern ca. we hired our first lic. contractor after getting three other bids we choose him not only was he the lower bid not by much but we had used him to do other things on the property before so we awarded him the contract that consists of the following foundation,framing,rough elec,rough plumbing,and rough gas plumbing,he has now called us and told us the plans were drawn up poorly and that it was not his fault he could not finish the job per contract and needed more money i am thinking it would his responsibility to finish per contract since he had the plans to study before bidding the job ? does anyone have any input on this?

Advertisement

Old 01-17-2010, 04:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

contractors obligations

Very vague outline of the problem
All depends upon what the contract states & local laws

Advertisement

Old 01-17-2010, 04:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

contractors obligations

thats a hard one, you supplied plans so you are responsible for content. Otherway he is g.c. for other subs they should have caught prob in there areas and he should have studied to make his bid comprehensive. i have done houses where when parts started going together and they didnt work. Sometimes it takes a sit down where everyone gives some to finish project. Been supe on others where my boss said they have to do their contract period
Old 01-17-2010, 04:11 PM   #4

contractors obligations

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpolk View Post
thats a hard one, you supplied plans so you are responsible for content. Otherway he is g.c. for other subs they should have caught prob in there areas and he should have studied to make his bid comprehensive. i have done houses where when parts started going together and they didnt work. Sometimes it takes a sit down where everyone gives some to finish project. Been supe on others where my boss said they have to do their contract period
thanks for the info
Old 01-17-2010, 06:47 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,002

contractors obligations

RM,
How could this guy bid the job unless he bid them off your prints, which now he says were poorly done? Sounds like he lowballed you and now wants out. Now you know why he was the low bidder. Talk to an attorney.
Mike Hawkins
Old 01-17-2010, 07:33 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,588

contractors obligations

That would be the responsibility of the GC to have made sure the prints are accurate.
Along with how the contract is written. And have it worded that no exceptions or exclusions are allowed nor additional charges can be added later.

As GC. You are responsible for any errors on the print.

On the other hand. He may have intentionally omitted things. A good GC knows when this is being done.

So if you didn't write the contract up right. You are left holding the bad. And paying the difference.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:39 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

contractors obligations

I did a commercial office demo/remodel with major upgrades in every trade. hvac trunk lines being built off site and trucked in. when they started installing and I checked elevation off floor they were 3" below finished ceiling grid. they built per specs on plans, no way to let stay do to other finishes so out it came. out of owner/architect pocket it came
Old 01-18-2010, 11:49 AM   #8

contractors obligations

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
That would be the responsibility of the GC to have made sure the prints are accurate.
Along with how the contract is written. And have it worded that no exceptions or exclusions are allowed nor additional charges can be added later.

As GC. You are responsible for any errors on the print.

On the other hand. He may have intentionally omitted things. A good GC knows when this is being done.

So if you didn't write the contract up right. You are left holding the bad. And paying the difference.
thanks for your reply per the contract witch he drew up it states to complete entire scope of work listed and there is a list of things witch inclds all that was on the plans the only exclusions that are on the contract is that we would furnish approved plans and permits witch we did. he has also taken aprox 5 mo. longer to complete the job witch makes me think since he is asking for more money is that i am now paying not only for him not bidding the job correctly but also paying his employees for the addi. 5mos. on the job.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:54 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000

contractors obligations

You'll need to contact a lawyer or find some site that deals with this
This site is for DIY, not contract issues

Thank you

Advertisement

Closed Thread