DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Contractor License

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Mort 
#1 ·
I am building a shop in rural NE California. I have hired a licensed contractor to do the dirt work. Everhting is good with that. The problem is with the concrete guy. He has come recomended by a few folks that have used him on smaller jobs around here. We had several bids last fall and chose him. We were about ready to start poring and he said that there was a problem with his contractor license, so we frantically started to find someone who had one. We were running out of time, and then he called back and said we are good to go. Unfortunally it snowed 2 feet that weekend and we were done for the year. We started up again this spring and asked for his contractor license and he said he has never had one???? he has already done a little work and assures us that everyting is alright. Should we listen to him? I am aware of the benefits of having a contractors license if you are a contractor, but where do I stand as the homeowner that is hiring him to do the work??

#2 ·
I don't know what CA's rules are but around here for insurance purpouses you have to have one if working one someone elses property for profit. If the guy said there was a problem, then said he was fine then came back with I don't have one, I'd tell him to get lost and find someone else..

Reactions: mae-ling
#7 ·
Get this guy off your property. Unless he's working as an employee of the GC, he's a subcontractor and therefore must be licensed, bonded and insured. He's already lied to you, what would that tell you about the quality of his work?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.