Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2009, 11:12 PM   #1

Share |

Contractor Help Please

In the spring I am planning on building a one story outbuilding at the size of 24 by 32 for the purpose of woodworking. Nothing to extravagant since I am just starting out in woodworking, but this will be a dedicated building for that purpose only. I have some questions for the experienced contractors out there. I live in east TN and know of the license I will need but would like your take on type of foundation. I would like this to be off the ground and really didn’t want to pour a slab of concrete but was considering pole foundation but wanted to see if with the size this would be a safe option? This would help with the cost of excavation, but it really doesn’t look safe. I have seen houses on them and thought surely a outbuilding under 1000 square foot would be okay on that type of foundation. Any other recomomendation you could give me would be much appreciated. If possible a ballpark figure of what the footers would cost for a building that size. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by bemgolf; 12-18-2009 at 12:20 AM.
bemgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:14 AM   #2

Contractor Help Please

no problem, I'm still amazed at the number of people who write like that...it's just hard to read, you've got a much better chance of responses if it's easy to read.

Jay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:13 AM   #3

Contractor Help Please

good woodworking equipment is heavy. you need to try and map out your layout and weights for load bearing. posts can work if footing is adequate
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:42 PM   #4

Contractor Help Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_47 View Post
Good advice from tpolk, plan your projected layout and possible future equipment.

My table saw weighs 640 lbs.

I prefer a wooden floor, less leg and back strain and if you drop a tool, less chance for breakage.

Sorry, can't help with the design.

Good luck

How's that Jay?
Good advice from tpolk, plan your projected layout and possible future equipment. My table saw weighs 640 lbs. I prefer a wooden floor, less leg and back strain and if you drop a tool, less chance for breakage.

Sorry, can't help with the design. Good luck
Old 12-18-2009, 10:37 PM   #5

Contractor Help Please

Let's try to keep it on topic
I really hate reading thru 2 pages of junk to find info

And I do agree with Jay
Posts that are one long run-on I tend to bypass
Maybe I'm just getting old...........
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote