Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2010, 04:46 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 46
Share |
Default

Container homes, what foundations does it need??


Greetings,

I have been scratching my head at what foundations does a container home

need for 2 or maybe 3 containers to be stacked ontop of one another to be

suitable for living in??

Have a look at the pics below, I am really amazed at their beauty and even

large scale builds just with container homes :O !!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Container homes, what foundations does it need??-sg-blocks-container-house-1.jpg   Container homes, what foundations does it need??-shipping-hangar-home.jpg   Container homes, what foundations does it need??-container-home-kit-1.jpg  

shabba1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Boston, MA
Posts: 17,248
Default

Container homes, what foundations does it need??


Foundation would depend upon local requirements
Here it is below the frost line 42-48"

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:04 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: MI's Western UP
Posts: 599
Default

Container homes, what foundations does it need??


I've been thinking about these quite a bit lately too.

you can go with piers for the easiest way. they are made to be suported by the 4 corners if you keep the structure in tact.

they have the empty weights painted on them. I want to think they weigh a bit over 10,000 lbs for the most part

I don't see a reason why they couldn't be left on a slab or on top of a basement wall either.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
Mod
 
kwikfishron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kansas (NCK)
Posts: 7,296
Default

Container homes, what foundations does it need??


Container swimming pool, do they really do that?
__________________
A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words
Especially In The DIY Chatroom
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Boston, MA
Posts: 17,248
Default

Container homes, what foundations does it need??


Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Container swimming pool, do they really do that?
I guess they do !!

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:37 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 46
Default

Container homes, what foundations does it need??


Quote:
Originally Posted by forresth View Post
I've been thinking about these quite a bit lately too.

you can go with piers for the easiest way. they are made to be suported by the 4 corners if you keep the structure in tact.

they have the empty weights painted on them. I want to think they weigh a bit over 10,000 lbs for the most part

I don't see a reason why they couldn't be left on a slab or on top of a basement wall either.
Hi, yes I dont see why I couldnt just make it on some kind of a raft

structure, maybe a plinth (square concrete slabs).

http://www.swiftfoundations.co.uk/swift_plinth.php

What is a pier by the way???

Also any other ways to support a double story container structure... but

really I don't see why you could just stick them ontop of one another like

lego.
shabba1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:54 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 46
Default

Container homes, what foundations does it need??


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
I guess they do !!

wow the possibilities all in a tin!! without foundation work??? is that rly true
shabba1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:36 PM   #8
Household Handyman
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Albany, Ga.
Posts: 2,258
Default

Container homes, what foundations does it need??


The U.S. D.O.D. has multiple contracts now for companies which turn these containers into "apartments" for two (2) servicemen/women stationed at remote post such as Iraq and Afghanistan. Imagine being there and being assigned to live in a big tent, then getting one of these to live in, even with another grunt. I'd call them Heaven if it were me. They come completely wired, plumbed, and furnished. Just set them, hook up wiring, plumbing, etc., and hand over the keys. There stacked two-story high with balconies running the length of ten units with stairways. Not bad for our service people in my opinion. The Officers get single occupied units--of course. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:21 PM   #9
nap
You talking to me?
 
nap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: sw mi
Posts: 5,407
Default

Container homes, what foundations does it need??


Quote:
Originally Posted by shabba1985 View Post
Greetings,

I have been scratching my head at what foundations does a container home

need for 2 or maybe 3 containers to be stacked ontop of one another to be

suitable for living in??

!
If you live in an area that has building permits and code requirements, I suspect you might have to have an engineer design a foundation, method of attaching the units together, and possibly even giving an engineers report of the structural strength of the unit itself.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:16 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: MI's Western UP
Posts: 599
Default

Container homes, what foundations does it need??


Quote:
Originally Posted by shabba1985 View Post

What is a pier by the way???

Also any other ways to support a double story container structure....
a pier is a vertical pole pounded into the ground, often seen with raised structures near (or above) the ocean

The cheapest way would be to put a short wall the width of the container at each end, going down below the frost level the frost wall would have to be strong and the footings very large to hold all that weight without shifting

for a double story;
I was thinking of doing 2x 40' containers spaced apart to make a 40' cube, then repeat but turn the structure 90 degrees the next story up.

This would take care of all the load bearing walls, and leave a big open "courtyard"

I wonder if you could just burry 1 container to make a foundation and basement?
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:23 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,794
Default

Container homes, what foundations does it need??


Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
The U.S. D.O.D. has multiple contracts now for companies which turn these containers into "apartments" for two (2) servicemen/women stationed at remote post such as Iraq and Afghanistan. Imagine being there and being assigned to live in a big tent, then getting one of these to live in, even with another grunt. I'd call them Heaven if it were me. They come completely wired, plumbed, and furnished. Just set them, hook up wiring, plumbing, etc., and hand over the keys. There stacked two-story high with balconies running the length of ten units with stairways. Not bad for our service people in my opinion. The Officers get single occupied units--of course. David
any links to pictures or more information? construction details? Thx!
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:17 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 46
Default

Container homes, what foundations does it need??


Quote:
Originally Posted by forresth View Post

I wonder if you could just burry 1 container to make a foundation and basement?
wouldn't a normal concrete floor be just as good then?
shabba1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:28 PM   #13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1
Default

Container homes, what foundations does it need??


Hi, I am currently stationed in Afghanistan. And there are many 2,3, and even 4 container high 'apartment buildings' here. One of the 2 story 'container buildings' i've watched being built has 8 containers side by side on the first floor and 8 more stacked for the second floor, and the foundation is two footer/concrete wall foundations running the length of the building. The concrete was only under the front two and back two corners. James
jtheissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:13 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: MI's Western UP
Posts: 599
Default

Container homes, what foundations does it need??


Quote:
Originally Posted by shabba1985 View Post
wouldn't a normal concrete floor be just as good then?
I need close to a 4' frost wall here, so normally everyone just does a full basement. I'm thinking contaiers might be cheaper than concrete.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:29 PM   #15
nap
You talking to me?
 
nap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: sw mi
Posts: 5,407
Default

Container homes, what foundations does it need??


Quote:
Originally Posted by forresth View Post
I need close to a 4' frost wall here, so normally everyone just does a full basement. I'm thinking contaiers might be cheaper than concrete.
you are still going to need an engineered foundation or an engineers stamp that sticking a box in the ground is in fact an adequate foundation.

the other fact that is getting overlooked is: these containers are designed to support and be supported by the corners only. That means the area in between the corners is not considered to be structural, in terms of supporting the unit. As such, I would doubt an engineer would sign off on just dropping one of these in the ground as you are still effectively supporting any above grade structure by the 4 corners. I would bet they would require a substantial base at each of the corners.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Planning out a shipping container house benlinus Building & Construction 25 03-06-2012 06:19 PM
Underground Container vs. Sewer? gante Plumbing 3 03-18-2009 07:25 PM
Modular Homes? DaManAgain General DIY Discussions 10 01-13-2008 09:17 PM
Foundations SuBScRiPt General DIY Discussions 13 05-25-2005 01:01 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.