Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2007, 04:42 PM   #1

Share |

constructural engineer

Why would I need a constructural engineer to get my house raised?
I am getting a geotech. and a foundation contracter. I read on here someplace that I might have to get a constructural eng. to make sure it if safe to left, would that be
if I had leaning walls or something. I only have cracks in the walls. they cost big bucks and why would it be needed? Thanks, Joycegl
Joycegl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 05:12 PM   #2
Agent 000

constructural engineer

If you are the same Joyce that posted the questions about obtaining the services of a GeoTechnical Engineer in this thread then I am the person that suggested you hire a consulting engineer. I said that because in your other thread you;
  • Didn't know any GeoTech Engineers
  • You didn't know how to hire a contractor
  • You didn't know how to get your project bidded properly
I made that recommendation because a consulting engineer works for you and would be your advocate in coordinating this project and making sure that your needs are met in the most appropriate and cost efficient manner.

In this new posting of yours you said
Quote:
I am getting a geotech. and a foundation contracter.
So which is it? Have you already done this or are you still looking for some recommendations?

It would be helpful if you stuck to the original posting so that this conversation would have some continuity. Also please go back to the other posting and read it CAREFULLY. Ok? You sound a little upset and a little confused. Do you have a family member that can help you get all this sorted out?
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 06:40 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

constructural engineer

I believe what she means is that she needs foundation/construction/soil engineer. There are not alot of engineers that specialize and are licensed for in all those specific areas...
Took me a little time to find one in my area for a problem addition (we didn't build it). The guy I have is an MIT graduate and one of the only guys in the area. He's booked up for months.

She should contact engineering companies (tele. book or online local search) and ask around.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 07:09 PM   #4
Agent 000

constructural engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
I believe what she means is that she needs foundation/construction/soil engineer.
She should contact engineering companies (tele. book or online local search) and ask around.
You're right AWBC as that was her original request on the other post. I also suggested that she get into the Yellow Pages for her search. She did mention that she was 70 years old and I'm sure all this is overwhelming, thus my reason for suggesting her finding some sort of advocate that will help her work through it all.
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote