Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #1

Share |

Construction

Taking a 16' x 16' approx area of the garage, building a living space ( a room within a room ). New framing all sides except the side ajoining house. In the garage side of the walls will be covered with 3/8 ply board.

My question is: would it be harmful to vapour barrier both sides of the insulation?

Thank.

Last edited by atkinsbr; 02-26-2012 at 11:29 AM. Reason: more clarity
atkinsbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
DIY staff

Construction

Vapor barrier goes on the warm side only---

Your room within the garage---did you follow local code and elevate the floor the prescribed height above the garage floor?--

Garage floors must be lower than the living space --spilled gasoline vapors---

Building departments are REAL fussy about that---Mike---
atkinsbr (02-26-2012)
Old 02-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #3

Construction

Thanks Mike, The garage will no longer be a garage in that sense, it will be mainly be used as a storage area and for me tinkering with my tools, wood working, home maintainance etc. But I did bring the floor up to the level of the existing floor of the house. and at the entrance to the new room there was an existing window which is changed to a door with the proper header (2" x 10") in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Vapor barrier goes on the warm side only---

Your room within the garage---did you follow local code and elevate the floor the prescribed height above the garage floor?--

Garage floors must be lower than the living space --spilled gasoline vapors---

Building departments are REAL fussy about that---Mike---
The Following User Says Thank You to atkinsbr For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-26-2012)
Old 02-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
journeyman carpenter

Construction

with attached garages the vapor barrier is very important to be done correctly along with having the proper drywall to achieve the right fire rating required in your area

locally for just this we can omit the poly vapor barrier on the ceiling of the garage only if we glue all the joints on the floor plywood above. this means the tongue and groove joint and all butt joints in combination with on top of the floor joists
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:52 AM   #5

Construction

I started out by applying poly to the back side of the walls (2 walls) that is in the garage, not heated and also not exposed to the elements, and now that the inside area is complete and I have received my ply boards and am about to install. Would it be detrimental to the construction leaving the poly that was placed on the outside walls (but not exposed to the elements) in the garage??? Considering that 'normally' on the side exposed to the elements, a plastic membrane is usually placed on top of the ply board before the siding. But in my case the ply would be on the poly, making poly both sides of the insulation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
with attached garages the vapor barrier is very important to be done correctly along with having the proper drywall to achieve the right fire rating required in your area

locally for just this we can omit the poly vapor barrier on the ceiling of the garage only if we glue all the joints on the floor plywood above. this means the tongue and groove joint and all butt joints in combination with on top of the floor joists
Old 02-29-2012, 05:52 AM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Construction

2 vapor barrier layers are against building codes as it creates an "envelope" for moisture to be trapped and mold growth potential.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AtlanticWBConst. For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-29-2012)

Tags
vapour barrier