Construction - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

construction

I'm building a frame for a small greenhouse. and I would like to know if a sixteen foot long 2x4 on edge supported at each end would be strong enough to support two layers of six mil. plastic and snow. I will have a five to six inch rise per foot.

Advertisement

Last edited by billsfree; 01-24-2012 at 01:12 PM.
billsfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 512

construction

Nope.

Advertisement

sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
EIT/DIY'er

Rewards Points: 75

construction

Not enough info. ASSUMING the plastic is strong enough and your method of fastening is adequate, we'd still need to know how far apart the 2x4s are spaced and what area you're in.

That being said.....no, I do not believe it will be strong enough.

If you're looking at building this just as you would build, say, a shed but using plastic sheeting instead of roof decking and roofing material, you need to keep in mind that the decking provides lateral support and stiffness to the structure.

If this were my backyard project, I'd build this just as I would a shed or garage, with the same size framing, then use longitudinal 1x material across the rafters of the shed/gabel/whatever roof you're looking at building (as well as the sides assuming they're going to be unsheathed).

Then I'd take a good hard look at the strength of the poly and how to properly fasten it.....maybe someone with more knowledge than I have will come along to give you some info on poly.
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lattimer For This Useful Post:
billsfree (01-24-2012), mae-ling (01-24-2012)