Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2006, 09:29 PM   #1
Title

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Constructing a New Fence With Neighbor

Hello there,

My neighbor and I decided to replace the 40-year old wooden fence that divides our home. Within a few days, I will meet the contractor (hired by my neighbor) with my neighbor and discuss the estimate and ask questions about the project.

We will be replacing the wooden fence with a brick wall, six feet high and 100 feet length.

Just for my own safety, I want to compose a document indicating the exact measurement, the cost & labor of the job, warranty (if any), and the guarantee that the contractor will lay the brick wall precisely on the division line, not going over my property or the neighbor's property.

Things I have in mind. If I'm missing, please share your input. Thank you very much!

1) Get a written and signed estimate by the contractor.
2) Compose a typed document, signed by neighbor, myself, and the contractor, indicating the exact measurement of the brick fence, written promise that the fence will be layed on the division center.
3) Anything else I should have on the document?

Kwak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:50 PM   #2
World famous jerk.

Who will "own" the fence? There's no such thing as 'exactly on the line'. It will be on both properties. Seems like a little deed work is in order for both of you, or things could get ugly if you get new neighbors.

mdshunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 01:41 AM   #3
Title

Thanks for your comment. Good point, I need to factor that in during discussion and the writeup.
Kwak is offline   Reply With Quote