Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2006, 10:35 PM   #1
Title

Rewards Points: 10

Constructing a New Fence With Neighbor

Hello there,

My neighbor and I decided to replace the 40-year old wooden fence that divides our home. Within a few days, I will meet the contractor (hired by my neighbor) with my neighbor and discuss the estimate and ask questions about the project.

We will be replacing the wooden fence with a brick wall, six feet high and 100 feet length.

Just for my own safety, I want to compose a document indicating the exact measurement, the cost & labor of the job, warranty (if any), and the guarantee that the contractor will lay the brick wall precisely on the division line, not going over my property or the neighbor's property.

Things I have in mind. If I'm missing, please share your input. Thank you very much!

1) Get a written and signed estimate by the contractor.
2) Compose a typed document, signed by neighbor, myself, and the contractor, indicating the exact measurement of the brick fence, written promise that the fence will be layed on the division center.
3) Anything else I should have on the document?

Kwak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

WOW, I have to say to have the contractor take full responsibility of the property line sound like you and you and your next door neighbor are going to have hire a surveyor. Are you holding him to exact or can a 6' wide wall vary a 1" or 2" threw the length. I believe part of the reason the government may pay over $80 for a basic hammer is because of the EXACT specs they put the contractor too.

Hope all goes well
all your other idea sound fine. including the property line but give a couple inch tolerance to the guy. and you don't need a exact measurement just a good clear quote. even with that it doesn't guarantee it will be what you want. References of his work and go look at some is probably more important then all you spoke of. what will a ugly uneven wall look like if it is EXACTY measured!

Old 10-03-2006, 02:50 AM   #3
Title

I appreciate the response. Excellent point, notes taken! Hope the rain doesn't pour in soon.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

After you get the quote Let us know what a 6 foot high 100 foot long brick wall costs! :D
Old 10-04-2006, 03:48 AM   #5
Title

Out of the three estimates I've gotten thus far, $5000 was the lowest.
Depending on different things, I could probably negotiate and haggle the estimate a little bit.