Constructing A Hidden Doorway - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2005, 10:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

constructing a hidden doorway

I just took possesion of a home that came with a wonderful loft that I intend to turn into an office. Off this loft area is an unfinished room over the garage. What I would like to do is finish the ROG and where the existing doorway is, I would like to install a hidden doorway that includes a set of shelves that match the existing built-in shelf units. The simple answer would be to attach the shelf unit to the door, but I realize that the existing hinges would not hold the additional weight of the shelves, let alone any books. I also need information about a latching mechanism for the doorway. The intent is to make this a safe room should there be any type of home invasion, etc. since it is opposite the master suite. Any help, as far as resources or advice, will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

bubblehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 03:13 AM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

constructing a hidden doorway

You should be able to attach matching bookshelves to the existing door by adding strong cross-bracing to the other side, and a small roller under the outer swing end of the door. You also could add larger gate hinges on the back side. Good Luck!
Mike

Advertisement

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote