Constructing A Crawl Space. Part Ledge Rock - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

Old 06-16-2015, 01:06 PM   #1
Rewards Points: 2

constructing a crawl space. part ledge rock

I am about to start excavating for a crawl space, and continuing on to build the crawlspace from there. 23 x 48, and 16 x 27. Westchester County NY, northern western lower cost part of County. The house foot print is a T, everything square edges. The house is modular. The 'base' part of the T is 16 x 27 and is in an area of ledge rock. I m going to have to get 4' or so of ledge rock off to get to grade, and then keep going to go below grade. I m assuming that I can pin the crawl space wall to the ledge rock. I am assuming that I will not have to go below the frost line for this part of the crawl space, as the rock will be considered part of the foundation. For the 23 x 48 part there is not any ledge rock appearing, and I m assuming the crawl space wall will be 18" (?).
Questions:- back hoe or excavator for where there is no ledge rock? what size of bucket? what size of backhoe or excavator - 16K, 24K? for the ledge rock I will hammer it with a hammer on the 24K - good plan? Any insights / answers appreciated.

keepitmoving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 05:28 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer
Rewards Points: 3,852

constructing a crawl space. part ledge rock

Ayuh,....... You'll want the biggest hammer-hoe you can rent,....

Smaller hoes can dig, 'n move the rumble,...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote