Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2009, 08:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Considerations when pouring concrete against a stucco wall?

Hi,

I'm building a 4' concrete retaining wall (1' foundation, 3' wall), and one end of the wall would contact the stucco wall of the house. The house has an existing plastic sheet water barrier adhered to the stucco wall up to ground level. I have attached the .pdf from the county that shows the approach that I am taking to building the retaining wall (I am building the one to the right of the document, to a height of 4', including foundation depth) and a photo of the area (the retaining wall is going up perpendicular to the side of the house and behind the A/C condensing unit in the background, partly into the spider plants). I have some questions about the area where the retaining wall butts up to the house and the stucco wall:

1. How should I handle the area where the retaining wall will meet the house's stucco wall? Do I need to remove the stucco and/or the plastic and adhesive?

2. I will be backfilling the grade behind the retaining wall to a height 2' above the area where the house has the moisture barrier. Is it enough to simply add more adhesive and plastic to raise that moisture barrier 2'?

3. Other than providing the drainage recommended in the attached .pdf, should I do anything special to ensure that water stays away from the house and drains towards the front of the house?

This house is in Southern California.

Thanks very much,
Clint
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf VenturaCountyRetainingWallInfo.pdf (44.3 KB, 192 views)

clint_nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:34 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I'd be very concerned if the new wall will have you placing earth up against the stucco. Remember that your stucco is certainly not waterproof and can be permeated by moisture. I would advise against pouring a concrete wall right up against the stucco. I'd leave some space if at all possible.

That is one heck of a nasty slope you have there and it is a good idea to try to manage any stormwater that flows downhill. In the interest of mitigating the water and making your retaining wall last, I'd suggest backfilling the wall with gravel and using a layer of geo-mesh fabric between the gravel and the backfilled earth. Furthermore, a french drain system to collect the water from the high and low side of the retaining wall and move it around the side of the house would be a very good idea.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:03 PM   #3

I was wondering what your solution was to butting a concrete wall against a stucco wall and how well does it work? I will be having the same situation when I put in a 5 to 6 foot retaining wall that will butt into the side of my house. I am referring to my architect for advice, but in the meantime I thought I would search the web and see who else may have a similar situation and a solution.
sealyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:06 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,092

An exterior retaining wall should not be tied to the house foundation or walls.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:40 PM   #5

Hi, I ultimately built a slip form rock wall perpendicular to the house, but I left a .5" gap between the butt end of the wall and the house and filled the gap with sealant. Then I continued the poly that already ran down the side of the house onto the wall and sealed it. Then I put in a french drain along the house and the wall to route the water away from the house and wall and drain it towards the front of the house. Then I terraced the small area behind the wall to manage the slope. We had decent rains this spring and everything drained ok. Overall I'm really happy with the wall but I will post again if I have any problems with it.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:32 PM   #6

I have made a lot of progress on the retaining walls, although it still needs some finishing. As this is a DIY chatroom, I wanted to share my experience in building this wall, almost a year later:
1. It was a LOT more work than I anticipated. A lot more. That is probably typical of all DIY jobs, but I allocated three weeks for this project and it ended up taking most of a year. All of the excavation, moving tons of dirt, mixing and pouring tons of cement was really hard work.
2. I put in french drains behind all the walls. The drains may be more work than necessary. You usually don't see them on DIY websites when the walls are short (these walls are 3' plus a 1' footing in the ground.
3. I used the slip form concrete method and am fairly happy with the result. The first wall I did didn't turn out as nice as the others because I was learning. If you have a choice, choose a less-seen wall as the first wall.
4. Because of the height of the slope, I decided to terrace the retaining walls. A tape measure and a little forethought would have prepared me for the extra work.
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2009, 05:56 PM   #7

Walls look great....huge improvement
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:55 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

Most excellent - great job.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:15 PM   #9

Spectacular job.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:28 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,216

VERY impressive work even for a season'd guy,,, if you would, pls comment on the ' slipform ' comment - vertical OR horizontal ? thanks.

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote