Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2011, 04:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

connecting wood i-beams

I have a knee wall and framed pillar that separates two rooms and I want to remove them both. The knee wall is not the issue, but i do need some advice on removing the pillar. It is framed and runs into a soffit that I want to keep because of plumbing it hides. There is a 12" wood I-beam that frames the bottom of the soffit, but when the house was built the wonderful builder decided they wanted to remove a 12" section from each I-beam.

I attached a terrible picture of the I-beams from when the house was being built. From what I can see in the picture and from crawling around in the attic, the I-beams butt up to king studs with jack studs supporting the ends. There are also two doubled up 2x4's on each side in the attic that span the entire soffit. It looks like the I-beams have 12" pieces of 2x4's connecting them to the full length framing above. The pillar seems to only support the soffit through the I-beams.

Now my question is what is the best way to remove the pillar and connect the I-beams? Shoud I get another beam and overlap the ends and fill the gap between the ends, or is there a better way? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You, Rick
Attached Thumbnails
connecting wood i-beams-zoom.jpg  

rb4123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

connecting wood i-beams

Welcome to the forum!

We need a better picture, if possible....

Gary

Old 04-11-2011, 12:03 AM   #3

connecting wood i-beams

Yeah sorry about that. I thought I had a close up but I cannot find it. I will draw it up tomorrow and post it.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:15 PM   #4

connecting wood i-beams

Here is my rudimentary drawing thanks to microsoft paint. It is the side view so I will be making the connection twice. From what I saw in the attic nothing is resting on top of the double 2x's. All the rafters and trusses run parallel to the wall.

The second picture is the same as my first post, but hopefully it is sized better. The third picture is a shot from the attic looking at the double 2x's and dropping down to the I-beam which is just burried by insulation. You can see the gas line in both pictures. The last picture is positioned if you were in the attic sitting just to theleft of the pillar looking at the person taking the secon picture if that makes sense.
Attached Thumbnails
connecting wood i-beams-side-drawing.jpg   connecting wood i-beams-img_3799-edit.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2011, 10:51 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

connecting wood i-beams

As the soffit headers are separate now and supporting the soffit framing and the gas line, you may be able to change the support to hang the soffit. This would require an on-site inspection by a knowledgeable person. Another picture of the soffit from the attic would help, show the top plates and ceiling joists- 5' away.

Gary