Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

connecting new addition to old.

so apologies if this is a very basic question but, what are the recommended methods for connecting new to old when building a new addition? mine will be 18X18', 2 stories, on a crawlspace foundation. I think I understand the foundation connection from what I've read -- epoxy and rebar generally used to tie the two foundations together (I will be connecting new block to old fieldstone and brick on a 100+ year old foundation so I think the old also gives the new something to hold on to). but my question is really about the framing. how does one best connect the wood framing and structures? my floor joists will not line up (and thats by choice for good reasons that are too much to get in to hear) so I suspect that complicates things a bit. I live in bergen county NJ in the NE corner of the state.

thx as always

yellowkid is offline   Reply With Quote