Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2011, 09:06 AM   #1

Share |

Connecting Beams And Post

So I'm ready to move on with my renovations. Removing a load bearing wall and spanning about 24' with beams and 2 posts about 8' apart. The wall has a basement below and a nearly identical wall there. I will support the first floor posts in the basement with identical beams and posts on new concrete footings. The engineer has specified 3 1/2 by 9 1/2 LVL for the beams and the posts. I'm going for a drawing next week and permits. I'd like to be informed when I go, and on the initial planes there wasn't anything spec'd to hold the beams and posts together. The beams will butt together atop the posts. What's the standard way on tying it together. I was told Simpson 12" tee straps were frequently used for this? And I'm sure it will be there, but is it better to place the posts in the basement on PT soles? Or use a paper barrier? I've heard it both ways.

Thanks in advance, I'd like to be able to ask the right questions when it's time.

JoeLena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:25 AM   #2
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Code minimum fastener schedules are listed in the code book. Anything beyond the scope of what's in the code tables should be spec'd out by the engineer. And on top of that, the local code official may have their own requirements.

Best thing to do is read the code book fastener schedules (plus any state or local addenda), have a conversation with the engineer about what you think is required and what he/she needs to clarify, and then have a conversation with the permit office folks at the counter when you submit the package about what you're using as a fastener schedule and connection details. Don't let it get to the point where you've already built it, and the inspector knocks it and makes you do it over.

Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:29 AM   #3
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLena View Post
So I'm ready to move on with my renovations. Removing a load bearing wall and spanning about 24' with beams and 2 posts about 8' apart. The wall has a basement below and a nearly identical wall there. I will support the first floor posts in the basement with identical beams and posts on new concrete footings. The engineer has specified 3 1/2 by 9 1/2 LVL for the beams and the posts. I'm going for a drawing next week and permits. I'd like to be informed when I go, and on the initial planes there wasn't anything spec'd to hold the beams and posts together.
How come you didn't call the engineer back and ask him? He has to tell you this. He cannot just leave that out and expect you to figure it out.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:34 AM   #4

I haven't gotten the final plans, and obviously he isn't there now, just wanted to have a little knowledge to ask the right questions. I'll wait until I go next week. Didn't see anything in the code fastening schedule for sturtural members regarding this. Thanks again for the advice.
JoeLena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLena View Post
I haven't gotten the final plans, and obviously he isn't there now, just wanted to have a little knowledge to ask the right questions. I'll wait until I go next week. Didn't see anything in the code fastening schedule for sturtural members regarding this. Thanks again for the advice.
I wasn't telling you to call him back today. They will be on the final plans then ready for you to file for permits. Look at the plans when you go to pick them up, if they're not there point it out to him because you won't be able to get permits.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #6
Civil Engineer

You are not going to find specific details in a code book regarding how to connect structural posts and beams. This is beyond code book, and as pointed out by Mr. Carola ABSOLUTELY needs to be on your plans. There is no standard way to connect structural posts and beams. Unlike ordinary house framing, large beams and posts require individually specified connections.

Personally I like Simpson connectors. Simpson makes a wide variety of connectors for projects like yours, the design engineer needs to either specify the appropriate Simpson, or use an alternative system. In any case, you need to point out to the design engineer that the connection details are missing, and allow him to augment the plans.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote