Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #1

Share |

confused about perimeter drains...

I bought a house 10 months ago. The street is about 40' away in the front, and a lake is about 50' away in the back. The walkout basement is about 15' above the lake, and the street is about 3' above the top of the basement. There is a drainage ditch on the other side of the street; my side is flat.

When we bought the house the sump was full of extremely stagnant water, which I pumped out.

Yesterday we had an extremely long heavy rain that left puddles in the front and back yard. I checked the sump and it was empty, and the walls were dry. The sump being empty confuses me.

I checked the plans and there are lines of 4" PVC storm that I think goes to the rain gutters. Just outside the foundation and just inside the foundation are lines of 4" PVC perf; presumably these are the perimeter lines. I further presume that everything drains to the lake; there are plenty of pipes sticking out the breakwall.

Now for my question?
What is the purpose of the sump? It has two pipes at the top, so if it fills it never empties. It is not shown on the plans.

Thanks, and sorry for being so long winded; just wanted to provide all possible information.

Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

The simplest answer is that sump crocks are required at time of construction in some areas. That's the case here, sump crocks are required, but pumps are optional. In many walk-out basements, the crock will likely never see water, as the draintile outside are much lower than the crock itself.........

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
The simplest answer is that sump crocks are required at time of construction in some areas. That's the case here, sump crocks are required, but pumps are optional. In many walk-out basements, the crock will likely never see water, as the draintile outside are much lower than the crock itself.........
Sadly, that makes sense. Thanks.
Toller is offline   Reply With Quote