Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 27

Confused about insulating kneewall attic space

I am confused with all the different options concerned with insulating a knee wall attic space in my Cape Cod home. Presently, there is insulation on kneewalls (fiberglass r-13). There is no insulation on roof deck boards or baffles. There are soffit vents and a ridge vent. The room is extremely hot in summer and cold in winter. What are the best options aside from spray foam to make this area of my home more comfortable and energy efficient? What about the following: Blocking under knee wall to stop air infiltration under floor and downstairs ceiling? 2. Is it allowed for some type of board (plywood, foam board, OSB) on the backside of the knee wall to stop air infiltration into living area? Is there a concern with moisture and mold? 3. If I put baffles on roof deck then insulation over baffles would that maintain more tolerable temps in this area? Is there concern with damage to roof deck with regards to moisture or heat in summer? 4. What to do for attic ceiling? Thank you Tim

EFTHIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Confused about insulating kneewall attic space

Tim,
Is the floor floored to outside walls? If not, seems like you could at least insulate the ends of the cavities between ceiling and F. joists.
Code says; you must maintain a 1" air space between insulation and bottom of roof sheathing. So baffles here are good.
Rooms like this are known to be hard to condition. So much outside exposure and difficult to run ductwork.

Last edited by glkirk; 12-27-2013 at 04:04 PM.
glkirk is offline   Reply With Quote