Confused About Framing - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Confused about framing

I am enclosing a pole barn. Slab is down, electricals done, sill plate and studs this week.

Here is my problem:

I am putting in 2 garage doors. There are 2 end supports and a center support in place right now. Total width is 24 feet. Originally I wanted to get 9 foot wide doors. Each opening is 136 inches. So a nine foot door means I need to enclose 14 inches on either side of each door. I had considered bolting together either 4 4x4 or 8 2x4. Either way I am concerned about flexing even with a header attached.

I had considered just a small framing on either end but framing a width of just 14 inches sounds odd. I would than have to attach a stud and a piece of siding.

Now if I go to a 10 foot door I am looking at filling 8 inches on either side.

This seems more plausible. 2 4x4 together with bolts or lag screws gets me to 7 inches and from there maybe a 1x and trim.

I even considered block but not going that direction.

Any help is appreciated.

Advertisement

drjay9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 664

Confused about framing

How can the wiring be done if the walls are not up yet?
Got a picture of what you have there now?
Not going to need to use lags or bolts to just frame in a wall, jack and king studs. Just nails is all you need.
A 14" wide wall in no problem. Just going to need at least 2, jack studs, 3 would be better.

Advertisement

Old 09-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #3

Confused about framing

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
How can the wiring be done if the walls are not up yet?
Got a picture of what you have there now?
Not going to need to use lags or bolts to just frame in a wall, jack and king studs. Just nails is all you need.
A 14" wide wall in no problem. Just going to need at least 2, jack studs, 3 would be better.
Electrical consist of overhead shop lights and 2 duplex outlets for the openers. No wall outlets.

I know I could frame the sides but didnt want to deal with 14 in piece of siding.

Any problem with my idea of 2 4x4 on either side.? Saves me the siding issue

The picture shows the center support. So I am looking to add 8 inches on either side. Again I thought that joining 2 4x4 and the header would do it.

I should mention that I will be adding a 4x4 behind the one pictured. In other words there will be a setback or else the door would close right on the dirt. I thought a nice apron (threshold of 4 inches would be wise.

Is the frame method preferred for any reason aside from less wood?
Attached Images

Last edited by drjay9051; 09-01-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 664

Confused about framing

How do you plan on anchoring 4 X 4's to the slab?
4 X 4's just love to twist, and curl when they dry out.
I'd bet your going to regret installing the wiring the way you did and not having any wall or outside outlets.
What do you do now if you plan on installing a simple work bench or build something in there?
If someone decides to insulate and sheetrock or sheath at some point all the wirings going to have to be redone.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Confused about framing

Why not do ALL your adding, no matter what size doors you choose, on either side of the center support? Leave both outer sides alone. The way you have it now, your two cars are going to be almost on top of one another.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:01 PM   #6

Confused about framing

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
How do you plan on anchoring 4 X 4's to the slab?
4 X 4's just love to twist, and curl when they dry out.
I'd bet your going to regret installing the wiring the way you did and not having any wall or outside outlets.
What do you do now if you plan on installing a simple work bench or build something in there?
If someone decides to insulate and sheetrock or sheath at some point all the wirings going to have to be redone.
Notice that attached to the pole barn is a nice size workroom. Lots of outlets , work bench etc.

Regarding the 4x4 twisting i would imagine that a good size lag screw at the bottom would work, no?
Old 09-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #7

Confused about framing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
Why not do ALL your adding, no matter what size doors you choose, on either side of the center support? Leave both outer sides alone. The way you have it now, your two cars are going to be almost on top of one another.
Not sure I understand. I currently park an F 150 and a 40 HP tractor in the space. it is 24 x 24 and my vehicles are nowhere close to each other.

Advertisement