Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2010, 01:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Conflicting Info on Foaming sheathing Please Help

Hi, is it Better to use kraft faced insulation on exterior wall or unfaced with a sheet of poly for the vapor barrier? If so, what thickness of poly, 6 mil? Also is it beneficial to seal the gaps in the sheathing boards with can foam prior to installing insulation?

gregt848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Where are you located ?

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:57 PM   #3

Right next door to u in Weymouth, wondering if it will hurt tu fo the gaps in the sheathing some are quite large. What I think?
Old 05-27-2010, 02:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

read and search there. it may change your mind on visqueen and type of insulation. sounds like you need an air barrier on the outside; i'd not build w/out one. GL. john
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:22 PM   #5

In cold climates use a 6 mil vapour barrier on the inside and a house wrap on the outside. The vapour barrier prevents moisture from entering the wall cavities from inside the house keeping the insulation dry so it works at its maximum eficency. The house wrap prevents water from outside from getting into the framing yet allows water vapour to escape. If you can wrap the exterior with rigid foam insulation for the next impending energy chrisis. Fine Home Building did an excellent article on such endevors a couple of months ago

I forgot to mention don't seal the gaps. Your structure needs to breathe
masterofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:16 AM   #6

I am getting conflicting info on whether I should use can spray foam to seal the gaps in my 1X6 sheathing boards. Some of the gaps are quite large. Some folks say you should not because the structure needs to breath. I have heard others mention that the air goes right through the gaps and is not filtered by the fiberglass. Whats the correct census? I had the celing structure spray foamed with closed cell and they also sealed the gable end walls and now those sheathing board gaps are sealed. Whats the difference? What should I do on the walls that are getting fiberglass?? Please help!
Old 05-28-2010, 01:27 PM   #7
Totally screwed together

Rewards Points: 250

1x6 sheathing boards... are they on the roof or walls?

I see now you have two threads open. You should post this question in your original thread - it will help you get better information.

Are you putting foam board on the outside of your sheathing? You will get a big boost if you do.
xxPaulCPxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:25 PM   #8

Sorry, I agree. I started a new thread, because I wasn't getting any feedback. The sheathing boards are on the walls. I have gotten conflicting info on whether I should foam the spaces between them. Have heard arguments for both. Just wanted to see what the concensus was. I may eventually foam board the outside, but that is a project for another day. So should I foam the gaps and spaces?
Old 05-28-2010, 06:22 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

For fiberglass to be effective in stud bays it is extremely important that the bay be airtight, or convective currents will occur, lowering your insulation value. Foam on the outside will provide sealing of the bay, and add'l R-Value.

But if you doesn;t do the exterior foam, it is very important to seal the sheathing for the reason I cited above. Spray foam, caulk...either can be used. You want to ensure no air movement in the bay.

rod

RoyalAcresRod is offline   Reply With Quote