Configuring Stairwell Openning For L-shaped Stairs - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
I ask the impossible!

Rewards Points: 508

Configuring stairwell openning for L-shaped stairs

I'm starting to plan for the next phase of the remodelling, and I'm thinking I may be working on ceiling joists. While I'm at it, the stairs to the second floor need new treads, so between these two issues I'm considering pulling ahead a change to the stairs that will be part of the eventual second floor remodel.

Anyway, the stairway is currently a straight stair, I'd like to make it an L-shaped stairway. The sketch I made isn't entirely to scale, but it relays the concept... Do I need to have a rectangular openning which would be open beyond where the stairway is, or can it be an l-shaped openning above the stairs - and if so, is there any way to do that other than supporting it with a load bearing wall?
Attached Thumbnails
Configuring stairwell openning for L-shaped stairs-stairwell-configuration-question.jpg  

Advertisement

WillK is online now   Reply With Quote