Condensation Inside Walls - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

condensation inside walls

Hello everybody, I've got a question that I think i know the answer to, but thought i'd get reassurance and/or opinions here. I have a new garage that I've built this last fall/winter and I finally got it wired and heated about a month ago. Shortly after I got the heat going, which i keep at about 55 deg, I went to work insulating it using unfaced batts in the walls. The plan is then to cover with vapor barrior and sheet up the walls. Well I got the insulation in place and never got the time to work on the vapor barrier and sheeting. Well we are using it to shed the vechiles and since we have snow here in my part of the world, I've got water that melts off inside the garage. Well I decieded to look behind the insulation and noticed frost/condensation against the outer walls behind the insulation. This concerns me, as I want to get the vapor barrier up, but I'm afraid of trapping tha moisture in the walls. So should I be concerned, or is the right way to do it, to remove the batts, dry out the wall, reinstall batts and immeditally put the vapor barrier up? I'm thinking this is what has to be done, but not looking foward to it. Thanks for the opinions.

Advertisement

jusolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Look, I don't know what else you're expecting from us...someone to say: "no everything is fine"?? It isn't and you already know that so quit wasting time. The more you wait the more the situation gets worse so time is of the essence.

What you're seeing is a direct cause-and-effect situation that won't just go away because you choose not to look at it; the thing you may not want to be looking at is the fact that wet insulation is not good. So, starting form there, you'll have to figure out what to do in order to avoid that from happening...

You're in North Dakota; ergo cold temperatures, heating and air movement. Therefore: insulation and vapour barriers are called for...now rather than insulation, then waiting, then heating and then vapour barrier, try insulation then vapour barrier, then heating then waiting.

Act, rather than react.

Advertisement

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:19 AM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

also fiberglass is effected by moisture. If you care to do it right then it must be replaced.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote