Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-27-2010, 03:49 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1
Share |
Default

Condensation In a Converted Attic


We have a small room in our attic that has been converted into a bed room. I noticed condensation on the walls when it's cold outside. The RH is 65% at 62 degrees. The rest of the house (1st floor) is 35% RH at 65 degrees. When I use a dehumidifier to bring the RH down to 50%, the room is fine. No condensation what-so-ever. Why is this room humid? We've had the house for 16 yrs and the problem has just recently appeared. We got a new oil burner 4 yrs ago. It is stronger than the old one and keeps the room warmer. In the past, we used a space heater for extra warmth. We have a forced hot air system. Could this be the source of the moisture? The attic itself is well ventilated. I'm pretty sure it's not the insulation trapping moisture. I think something is adding extra moisture into the room. Any thoughts? This is the second yr I'm dealing w/ the problem. Over the summer I replaced an old ridge vent and added a new one in the hopes of solving the problem.

Setsuna_F_Seiei is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Attic condensation problems vVvAiyanavVv Roofing/Siding 10 02-04-2011 08:55 PM
Condensation on attic A/C ducts unlvrebel HVAC 1 08-29-2010 05:31 PM
Ceiling condensation icemand Building & Construction 1 12-15-2009 05:16 AM
Attic converted to second floor rebuildergirl HVAC 28 06-03-2009 10:35 PM
attic condensation darren Roofing/Siding 11 01-24-2006 10:27 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.