Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2010, 01:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

concrete wall tabs

Getting ready to stud out a basement which has poured walls. Most of the tabs for (I'm assuming) holding the forms together are still there. The only problem that I see is that they transfer the cold weather through them. I also guess that some of them may be right where a stud will be located.

Is it o.k. or recommended to remove them and if so - how? Also, if I remove them, do I need to put a sealer over the area? I don't have any water issues (leaks) now and I don't want to start any!
Thanks,
Rick

upinsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,032

concrete wall tabs

The wall ties are perferated so that they will break away easily at the surface when tapped sideways with a hammer. As for sealing, I wouldn't be concerned, as they should already be sealed from the exterior.

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

concrete wall tabs

Or... you can impale 2" foamboard on them and stud out the wall in front of the foamboard.
I would think there's a small chance they're sealed on the exterior, very small.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,032

concrete wall tabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Or... I would think there's a small chance they're sealed on the exterior, very small.
Ron

Maybe not, but if it has a sprayed on damproofing, they should be sealed up OK. I can't see any benefit to leavign them on from a water leakage standpoint.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:19 PM   #5

concrete wall tabs

I have a few in my 50's basement that allowed a trickle of water in during repeated heavy rain in March
This was the most rain on record since 1885
If you are going to remove them I would seal them before you close it up
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:44 PM   #6

concrete wall tabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
Maybe not, but if it has a sprayed on damproofing, they should be sealed up OK. I can't see any benefit to leavign them on from a water leakage standpoint.
You might be projecting a universal competence in foundation contractors that does not exist. You might do this as a matter of course, but others are not so diligent. By the time the issue raises it's head, these guys are long gone.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:46 PM   #7

concrete wall tabs

Thanks all. Since about 75% of the basement is underground and, to date, I have had zero water in the basement (fingers crossed x2), I have to believe there is at least some sealer on the outside. However, if there is any doubt, I may just seal around them whether I break them off or not. Or, should I only seal around the tabs that need to be broken off?

So, who's got a recommendation on what to put on there to seal them up? I already have two coats of Dri-Lok on the walls.
Rick
Old 04-30-2010, 02:45 AM   #8

concrete wall tabs

Tried to send a PM but apparently haven't posted enough (yet) to do so. From previous posts - sounds like I should seal around the tabs (or where the tabs used to be) so wadda I use? A caulk tube of ordinary concrete sealer? If I'm going to do it, I'd like to use a product that has a history of success with our expertistas
Thanks,
Rick