Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2006, 01:29 PM   #1

Share |

concrete wall

I have a concrete block wall building built on a slab. The first row of block was attached to the slab with mortar. There is no rebar going through the slab into the block. Am I in trouble? If so is there a way to correct this.

glseagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:09 PM   #2
IHI

concrete wall

FWIW, alot of the older structures never had any mechanical fastners between the slab/block. Most would let the slab cure for a day or more then come back and motor the block into place. Today we personally use a combination of wet setting the block-putting them in before the concrete is completely hard and using bent rebar tied to the perimeter rebar that sticks up through the slab and set the block over top of it then fill the void with mortor.

I dont think I'd lose to much sleep over the deal since all of the weight of the structure is pressing down on bottom course of block so it'd take quite a blunt force to move it. If all else fails do like the jacklegs do...caulk it LOL

Old 06-15-2006, 08:13 PM   #3
General Contractor

concrete wall

I won't say that is the best way to do it, but it has been done that way for years...if a slab is poured without rods up, there isn't much else to be done except continue....the strength of the mortar set block bond may surprise you.
joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:58 AM   #4
Contractor

concrete wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by glseagraves
I have a concrete block wall building built on a slab. The first row of block was attached to the slab with mortar. There is no rebar going through the slab into the block. Am I in trouble? If so is there a way to correct this.
No, you are not in trouble. I wouldn't worry about.
Brickie is offline   Reply With Quote