Concrete Vs Interlock Paver Driveway In Cold Winter - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Concrete vs Interlock paver driveway in cold winter

I live in a cold winter city.
Is Interlock paver easier to maintain or repair than Concrete driveway?
Is that because Concrete is easier to crack?

Advertisement

Last edited by albertkao; 09-03-2011 at 04:55 PM.
albertkao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertkao View Post
I live in a cold winter city.
Is Interlock paver easier to maintain or repair than Concrete driveway?
Is that because Concrete is easier to crack?
It's easier because the pavers are modular and can be removed to repair low spots or root lifts.

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
albertkao (09-04-2011), concretemasonry (09-03-2011)
Old 09-04-2011, 10:04 PM   #3

Can polymeric sand prevent weeds completely from growing through interlock driveway?
Old 09-05-2011, 02:25 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,136

Polymeric sand is a bit of a gimmick for initial installations because of the life. I have never seen it used in a major installation (up to 20 acres). The weeds come from the airborne seeds and can be killed easily.

Since the real interlocking pavers are individual units and have beveled top edges, they are easier when it comes to winter snow removal than concrete slabs that have larger pieces and greater joint separations than concrete pavers.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to concretemasonry For This Useful Post:
albertkao (09-08-2011)
Old 09-06-2011, 07:15 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,464

both are acceptable & widely used,,, IF conc is installed correctly by someone who has a good understanding of it, it is far superior & MUCH less expensive than engineered cracking pvmt ( pavers ),,, imn-s-hfo, that is
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:45 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 610

I suppose a lot has to do with how well the installation is done, but I see a lot of interlocking driveways with weeds growing out of them and/or have settled and dropped where cars have parked on them. They can look really great though if it has a good pattern. If your car does not leak oil, there should be zero maintanance on a concrete driveway.

Funny thing is, in the town I used to live in, most everybody had an asphalt drive way, or else interlocking. And a lot of both types were in rough shape. In the town I am in now, just a couple hours away, concrete is the norm. I would say the concrete holds up much better.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
Polymeric sand is a bit of a gimmick for initial installations because of the life. I have never seen it used in a major installation (up to 20 acres). The weeds come from the airborne seeds and can be killed easily.

Since the real interlocking pavers are individual units and have beveled top edges, they are easier when it comes to winter snow removal than concrete slabs that have larger pieces and greater joint separations than concrete pavers.

Dick
What is the best way to prevent seed from growing in the future at initial installations?
Old 09-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
I suppose a lot has to do with how well the installation is done, but I see a lot of interlocking driveways with weeds growing out of them and/or have settled and dropped where cars have parked on them. They can look really great though if it has a good pattern. If your car does not leak oil, there should be zero maintanance on a concrete driveway.

Funny thing is, in the town I used to live in, most everybody had an asphalt drive way, or else interlocking. And a lot of both types were in rough shape. In the town I am in now, just a couple hours away, concrete is the norm. I would say the concrete holds up much better.
I live in Ottawa, On. so the temperature is from 30C (summer) to -15 C (winter).
What is your city's temperature range?
Old 09-08-2011, 08:57 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

I'd say if you want the paver look, use stamped and dyed concrete. If you are prone to root lift and sinking, it will be much worse with pavers than concrete, but admittedly easier to fix. Me, I'd rather build so a problem doesn't happen (such as a thicker than normal slab with proper drainage. maybe beef up the perimeter even more and stick in some re-rod) than build with the idea of redoing it every couple of years.

My annual temp swing is greater than yours FWIW.

Last edited by forresth; 09-08-2011 at 11:06 PM.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:22 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 610

Quote:
I live in Ottawa, On. so the temperature is from 30C (summer) to -15 C (winter).
What is your city's temperature range?
Southwerstern Ontario -- a few degrees warmer.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:39 PM   #11

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,136

I am in Minnesota - a few degrees warmer(up to 103F this summer) in the summer and a little colder (down to -30F) in the winter.

Very often, we see many different materials used for streets, crosswalks, accents and utility purposes on and near streets/roads. The pavers hold up much better than stamped concrete or stamped asphalt after a few years.

Maybe that is because the stamped concrete does not have the durability and is only 3000-4000 psi and the finishing can cause durability problems. The asphalt is just asphalt that deteriorates and changes color quickly. The pavers are 8,000-10,000 psi minimum.

I have seen some industrial (ship unloading and storage) sites of 20+ acres that were only about 4' above high tide that carried loads of 40,000-60,000# on 4 steering wheels on a straddle loader. It was the only way to build a stable, smooth surface that could give a smooth ride for the valuable cargo.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:11 AM   #12

No doubt stamping concrete stamps in weak points and yes, the pavers can be stronger. but what it real comes down to is; I really doubt any homeowner is going to put that level of prep work into the subsurface as an industrial site would receive. with an over built substrate, almost anything would be fine.

I guess another thing to consider would be snow removal method employed. I'd probably lean away from plowing stamped and dyed concrete and want to use a snow-blower instead
The Following User Says Thank You to forresth For This Useful Post:
albertkao (09-10-2011)
Old 09-09-2011, 08:46 PM   #13

If I lived in extream cold weather,snow ,water that will freeze for weeks at end that will lay in small areas for a long time,will over time spall parts of the serface .The best add mixes will help somewhat.Drive around your area look at walks,driveways,all concrete,Yours will look like that over time.Spalled areas [ areas that the top layer has or will come off].If the cost isn't a factor and where isn't it ,Pervous Concrete is the only thing I would use.Water will drain threw it .At about 9.50 per sq. ft.Almost 2 times more than 3000lb. concrete.I would not use stamped ,or stained concrete.The moisture that will hydrolic up will turn colored concrete that has been sealed milky white,under the sealer.One ugly slab.Check with your concrete supplier,the will no best for your area.Drainage,north side area are real questions when talking to them.I no little about pavers.
Ken..............
We all no alot but can only do a little------------
kchunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by forresth View Post
No doubt stamping concrete stamps in weak points and yes, the pavers can be stronger. but what it real comes down to is; I really doubt any homeowner is going to put that level of prep work into the subsurface as an industrial site would receive. with an over built substrate, almost anything would be fine.

I guess another thing to consider would be snow removal method employed. I'd probably lean away from plowing stamped and dyed concrete and want to use a snow-blower instead
Do you mean use a snow-blower instead of removing snow manually?
Old 09-10-2011, 09:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Do you mean use a snow-blower instead of removing snow manually?
I guess I am used to long driveways and some heavy snowfalls.

Depending on your shoveling technique, Manual removal could be better or worse than plowing with a truck. The big push shovels referred to as locally at least as "Yooper Scoopers" would be easier on a surface than a truck mounted plow. A coal shovel and ice chipping would be much worse. A broom (how I took care of most snowfalls when I lived near Detroit) would obviously not damage anything, and neither would those rubber flap style snow blowers. A big 2 stage snowblower wouldn't be too bad either. The more I think bout it, the more I realize stamped concrete would be better were snow is a rarity or with heating coils underneath. there are just too many edges to get hit with a shovel or what ever and ruin the look.

I'd think pavers would be much more resistant to damage, but they still have all those edges to get hit. Then when a couple of them get pushed up just a little, those are the ones that would always get hit. Big slabs of concrete with rounded over fracture lines would strike me as the best with regard to snow removal damage.

Whatever you choose, long term success will be determine by how much prep work you put into it. Good luck

Advertisement

Tags
driveway