Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Concrete Strength - Floor

I am having the concrete poured tomorrow for my polebarn.

I have been planning on using 4000 PSI at 4" for the floor.

Is 4k an overkill?

3000 PSI is about $11/yd less.

Would 3500 be ok?

The base is 4-5" of 304 limestone compacted. It will have 21lb wire mesh.

I'll be parking the truck, a Bobcat and a mid-size tractor on the concrete and a few trailers.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:28 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,068

Do you really know what you will be parking in the future?

If you have salt/de-icers and it is unheated, you may want to look at air entrained concrete for added durability.The labor cost to place and finish is the same.

Around here, for a driveway, it can be tough to get anything less than 4000 psi (cement is relatively cheap in the big picture) and air entrained unless you sign a waiver. - The small producers may sell anything.

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:02 PM   #3
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,026

I would stick with the 4000 psi for any floor, especially in any kind of work shop. If the building won't be heated & suceptable to freezing, the 4000 is far superior, & as Dick said, air entrainment will be a big plus.

The best advice I can give is talk to your contractor. You have to trust his opinion, & if you don't, you made a huge mistake in hiring him. If the contractor does this line of work day in & day out, HE knows what HE wants to pour & finish. His advice should be far superior than any advice over the internet (well maybe not Dick's advice!) as he can physically see & touch the job.

As a concrete & masonry contractor, I only pour 4000 psi (usually straight 6 bag) in this application for more than just strength. The finish is generally much better with more cement, you get a denser surface, & the extra cement can cut hours off of the finishing time, especially on a late afternoon pour. I can't actually even imagine trying to trowel finish 3000 psi concrete, much less minus air over a vapor barrier. I think it wood look preaty poor. 3000 is generally reserved for footings, at least in my area. 3500 is acceptable in crawl space floors & some basement floors.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Thanks. I just wanted some external opinions.

Yes, the concrete is AE, even though it is indoors. No, the shop will not be heated except for when I am out there.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:47 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,156

dittoes for us,,, suggestion - pay particular attn to where static weight'll be park'd,,, we've found loads tend to weigh more when park'd than rolling causing some unexpected random crk'ing,,, slab size can be used to adjust this tendency but i'll defer to dick for the reason.

we only use 4K psi UNLESS plans/specs call for something else - usually 4 to 5" slump.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote