Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2011, 12:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Concrete Steps Crumbling

Hey y'all,

I have some brick/concrete steps that lead to the yard out back that are starting to fall apart - mostly due to the hard winter we've had - and the pounding on them to remove ice buildup.

I'd like some opinions on how to fix this myself from materials readily available at Home Depot - we don't have cash for a mason to come in.
One corner is rather eroded and beyond patching, so I'm thinking something to support it, then patch around.

Here are the pics:

Thanks in advance,
John

Last edited by olimazi; 09-01-2011 at 12:47 PM.
olimazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,390

Concrete Steps Crumbling

your best bet is to demo the steps & cast new,,, any apron/vest store stocks bagged conc mix,,, from the looks of them, any $ invested in repairs will be wasted imn-s-hfo

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,484

Concrete Steps Crumbling

As you can see past repairs have not held up and that unit is really too far gone to waste any more money on repairs. If you were to demo the whole thing I'll bet you would be surprised at how little it would cost to have a contractor form and pour a new "stoop".

Freeze/thaw will continue to deteriorate anything you do in the form of repairs at this point. Unfortunately that "unit" is gone.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:19 PM   #4

Concrete Steps Crumbling

Thanks, if I were to 'waste' money on repairs, how would I repair it?
Old 09-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,390

Concrete Steps Crumbling

1st off, we're unsure IF those are conc steps w/brick margin outline OR block steps o'laid w/mortar & brick but whatever - 1st pressure wash all the dirt & plaster on some topping mix,,, expect that work to last o'nite OR til the 1st freeze/thaw cycle,,, & that's all the time i'll waist on this thread
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stadry For This Useful Post:
Bud Cline (09-01-2011)
Old 09-01-2011, 03:13 PM   #6

Concrete Steps Crumbling

Bud,

I'm thinking of 2 options:

1. Keep the stoop there and deck it over w/ wood
2. Remove the stoop and put in wood stoop.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
As you can see past repairs have not held up and that unit is really too far gone to waste any more money on repairs. If you were to demo the whole thing I'll bet you would be surprised at how little it would cost to have a contractor form and pour a new "stoop".

Freeze/thaw will continue to deteriorate anything you do in the form of repairs at this point. Unfortunately that "unit" is gone.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,484

Concrete Steps Crumbling

Quote:

Either could be a viable option.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 25

Concrete Steps Crumbling

IF you repair you would need to chip away until you found good solid concrete. Which looking at you pictures you might never find any. You can hire someone to pour stairs for a small fee. I would think that would look better and also last you a longer time. If this is a repair and sell the home type of deal then you could trowel on some concrete mortar and make it look like stucco.
amuffly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:25 PM   #9
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Concrete Steps Crumbling

Quote:
Originally Posted by olimazi View Post

Thoughts?
Not and expert, but I'd go with option #2 for two reasons.

1) Wood, even pressure treated wood, if resting on concrete will hold and wick up moisture causing it to rot prematurely.
2) If you raise it so it is not touching the concrete, it seems like an ideal spot for mice, spiders, wasps, etc., not to mention being difficult to clean.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #10
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,138

Concrete Steps Crumbling

If you want to rebuild with concrete & brick, I'd suggest you start demoing the existing brick, and everything else that's loose. I know it doesn't seam like a sound plan at first, but you really need to get into it a ways to know what you have to work with.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:08 AM   #11

Concrete Steps Crumbling

The quotes I've been getting for a new stoop pour are between $1,000 and $1,500, not such a small fee... may take out and put wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amuffly View Post
IF you repair you would need to chip away until you found good solid concrete. Which looking at you pictures you might never find any. You can hire someone to pour stairs for a small fee. I would think that would look better and also last you a longer time. If this is a repair and sell the home type of deal then you could trowel on some concrete mortar and make it look like stucco.